NATIONAL CLEAN OUT YOUR MEDICINE CABINET DAY
National Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day occurs annually on the third Friday in April. The day aims to raise awareness and effectively rid homes of unused or expired prescription and over-the-counter medications sitting in medicine cabinets, nightstands, or kitchen cabinets that have the potential for misuse or abuse by family members, friends, or visitors.
How to Do It Right
How you dispose of your expired or unused medications is just as important as why. Environmental studies show that flushed medications flow into our water supply. They negatively impact the fish we eat and the water we drink. When discarded in the trash, medications leach into and contaminate the soil.
At-home drug disposal solutions offer a simple, convenient and effective way of disposing of unwanted medications. If you have large quantities of leftover medications or as a supplement to at-home drug disposal, you may also consider participating in the Drug Enforcement Agency’s (DEA’s) National Drug Takeback Day generally held in the spring and fall of each year.
HOW TO OBSERVE CLEAN OUT YOUR MEDICINE CABINET DAY
- Take time during National Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day to help remove your home of risks associated with leftover medications and do your part to help fight drug addiction.
- Review your medications—as well as those of your pets—wherever you store them.
- Medicine cabinet
- Kitchen cabinets.
- Then easily and effectively dispose of any leftover or expired medications by using an at-home disposal solution like DisposeRx.
- We encourage you to post photos on social platforms of your cleanups using the hashtag #CleanOutMedsDay.
- Supporting graphics and a video that can also be shared can be downloaded here.
NATIONAL CLEAN OUT YOUR MEDICINE CABINET DAY HISTORY
DisposeRx founded National Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day in 2019 to raise awareness of the risks associated with keeping leftover or expired prescription or over-the-counter medications in your home. Drug addiction, overdose, poisonings, and deaths related to leftover medications are real. DisposeRx provides a simple and effective way to dispose of expired and unused medications that is easy to use and eco-friendly.
The Registrar at National Day Calendar proclaimed National Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day to be observed annually on the third Friday in April.
Q. What is the best way to store medicine?
A. Medicines best maintain their potency under ideal conditions. Medications should be stored in cool, dry, dark places.
Q. Does the potency of a medication decrease over time?
A. Yes. Though, the amount of deterioration will depend on the medication and how it was stored. Some medications increase in potency over time.