NATIONAL CANDY CANE DAY
National Candy Cane Day on December 26th gives candy lovers a day to celebrate the red and white striped candies found abundantly during the holidays.
In 1844, a recipe for a straight peppermint candy stick, which was white with colored stripes, was published. However, some stories tell of all-white candy sticks in much earlier times. Folklore tells of the origin of the candy cane, yet no documented proof of its real beginning. Literature begins mentioning the candy cane in 1866, and it was first known to be mentioned in connection with Christmas in 1874. As early as 1882, candy canes have been hung on Christmas trees.
Fun Candy Cane Facts:
- The average candy cane is 5 inches tall.
- While most candy canes are not sugar or calorie-free, they do not have any fat or cholesterol.
- Striped red and white candy canes were first introduced in 1900.
- The first machine to make candy canes were invented in 1921 by Brasher O. Westerfield. Until then, they were made by hand.
- Bob McCormack and his brother-in-law & priest Gregory Keller brought the candy cane to the masses. What started out as candy-making for McCormack’s friends and family turned into mass production when Keller invented the machine that enabled Bob’s Candies to go big time.
- Traditionally the flavor for candy canes is peppermint, but there are a variety of flavors.
- Alain Roby, Geneva pastry chef, holds the Guinness World Record for the longest candy cane, measuring 51 feet long.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL CANDY CANE DAY
Do you have candy cane traditions? Enjoy one from your stocking or pluck one from the tree. Share a candy cane with your sweetheart, neighbor or child in your life. However you celebrate, be sure to use #NationalCandyCaneDay when posting on social media.
NATIONAL CANDY CANE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to enjoy our candy canes while researching the elusive origins of its first celebration.
Candy Cane FAQ
Q. How many calories are in a candy cane?
A. A standard, 6-inch candy cane contains two servings with approximately 50-60 calories per serving.
Q. What kinds of flavors do candy canes come in?
A. Candy makers develop various candy cane flavors. Some of the more common ones include cherry, sour apple, blueberry, watermelon or orange. However, some brands take their flavor choices a step further. How does pickle, bacon, mac and cheese, or rootbeer flavored candy canes sound to you?