NATIONAL ADOPT A CAT MONTH
Meow! National Adopt a Cat Month in June encourages us to remember our feline friends when considering a new pet. Also known as Adopt a Shelter Cat Month, it’s a time to learn the cat-friendly ways to prepare your home for a new fur baby, how to know which cat is best for you and how to care for your feline friend.
Shelters are full of cats and kittens in needs of forever homes. These feline fur babies come with as many personalities as they do colors and coats. They curl into our hearts and will just as quickly remind us they decide who they love. Whether they were born in the shelter, surrendered or abandoned, 3.4 million find their way to a shelter.
When considering the adoption of a furbaby, take your time. Each shelter animal will touch your heart, so be sure to find a life-long love.
- Consider your lifestyle. Will you have time for an active kitten or will an adult cat be more to your pace?
- Make multiple visits before making a choice. Sometimes, the purrfect cat will choose you.
- Spend one-on-one time with the cat so you have some bonding meowments and her true personality comes through.
- Do other members of your fur family need to be considered? If so, be sure to introduce them to be sure their personalities mesh.
- When you bring your new family member home, have a space ready for him to decompress and adjust to his new abode. Don’t be surprised if he hides at first. This is normal cat behavior.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Visit your local shelter. If you aren’t able to adopt, consider volunteering or making a donation. Each shelter provides a list of needed items. If you’ve adopted a shelter cat, share a selfie with your furbaby on social media. Use #AdoptACatMonth to follow throughout the month.
The American Human Association started Adopt a Cat Month in 1974.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!