Explore the Shire on September 22nd during Hobbit Day. While there, celebrate the birthdays of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins.
The novels The Hobbit and the trilogy The Lord of the Rings trilogy written by J.R.R. Tolkien, bring to life the world of Middle-Earth. According to the stories, Bilbo and Frodo were born during the Third Age in the years 2890 and 2968 respectively. Translated to Shire-reckoning, Bilbo was born in 1290 and Frodo in 1368.
I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~Bilbo Baggins ~ Lord of the Rings ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
HOW TO OBSERVE #HobbitDay
Join celebrations or have a Hobbit Day party of your own. Reading the book or watching the movies are other ways to enjoy the day. Create a celebration worthy of a Hobbit.
- Everyone should dress for the occasion. Even though most of the trilogy takes place in the future, Hobbits live for a very long time. Look at when Bilbo and Frodo were born. There’s a very medieval and mystical feel to the costumes.
- Supply plenty of cakes, teas, wine, and ale.
- Invite a large crowd. Hobbits come from big families.
- Read from the trilogy or make a big speech.
- Be merry and dance. Provide music, too.
Share your celebration using #HobbitDay to post on social media.
HOBBIT DAY HISTORY
The American Tolkien Society first proclaimed Hobbit Day and Tolkien Week in 1978.
The Hobbit FAQ
Q. When was The Hobbit published?
A. J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel The Hobbit was published on September 21, 1937.
Q. What other books did J.R.R. Tolkien write?
A. J.R.R. Tolkien wrote several books, mostly fantasy, including The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. He also published the book Letters From Father Christmas, a compilation of letters written to his children spanning more than two decades.
Q. Are there other holidays associated with J.R.R. Tolkien?
A. Yes. On March 25th each year, Tolkien Reading Day celebrates the author.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!