DIET RESOLUTION WEEK
Every year, during the first week in January, Diet Resolution Week provides support for one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions we make. Topping the list includes losing weight and getting fit.
Although nearly half of all Americans make one or more New Year’s resolutions, not very many of them get kept. About 75% of the resolutions are kept past the first week. By the end of June, our commitment drops, and only 46% of those New Year’s promises are still maintained.
If you’re bound and determined to succeed with your diet resolutions, there are some ways to do it. One of the first things you’ll want to do is choose a diet plan. There are many to choose from, so be sure to select the one you can do. Here are some of the most popular diet plans:
- Paleo diet – focuses on eating lean proteins, fruits, and veggies and avoiding grains, sugar, and processed foods.
- Vegan diet – eliminates meat, dairy, and other animal byproducts.
- Low-carb diet – focuses on eating proteins and fats and limiting the intake of carbohydrates.
- Intermittent fasting – Instead of focusing on what you eat, this diet emphasizes when you eat.
- Weight Watchers – a commercial diet that uses a point system, meal replacement, and counseling.
If you have not had any luck with diet plans in the past, you may decide to stick to an “eating in moderation” approach. This way of eating can help you lose weight if you eat appropriate portion sizes and eating a variety of health foods.
No matter what type of diet you choose, one of the best ways to stick to your plan is to find support. Consider asking a friend to hold you accountable. You can also hire a health coach. Use social media to your advantage. Post a picture of yourself when you attain a specific goal. The encouragement you get from others will help you keep going.
If you mess up and eat that tempting bowl of ice cream, don’t beat yourself up. Also, don’t set a goal you know you won’t be able to reach. Even losing just 5% of your body weight can do wonders for your health!
HOW TO OBSERVE #DietResolutionWeek
One of the best ways to observe this week is to make a diet resolution of your own. Choose a diet that you think you can stick to. Other ways to participate include:
- Research different diet plans
- Learn the history of dieting in the United States
- Talk to your doctor about how much weight you need to lose
- Think about other ways to become healthier in the New Year
No matter how you participate, be sure to share on social media with #DietResolutionWeek.
DIET RESOLUTION WEEK HISTORY
Vegetarian Awareness Network out of Knoxville, TN founded the week to promote healthy nutrition goals.