THANK YOU FOR CELEBRATING EVERY DAY
WITH NATIONAL DAY CALENDAR®
TIPS TO GROW HEALTHY ORCHIDS
Orchids are one of the most beautiful, elegant flowers found. However, orchids are a delicate flower and need unique care. We found tips to help your orchid thrive a healthy life.
- Choose a pot with plenty of drainage at the bottom of your pot to allow for excess water drainage.
- Use fast draining soil with a moss or a bark mix.
- A moss mixture will retain water longer, decreasing watering time.
- A bark mixture will drain quickly, requiring more frequent watering.
- Orchid grow best in moderate temperatures and a little air. Ideal temperature is between 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Keep your orchid near the window on the southern or eastern part of your house. Orchids need light but don’t like direct sunlight.
- Watering your orchid will depend on the climate you are in. It’s important to factor in humidity into the watering schedule.
- Overwatering orchids will cause root rot and kill your plant. If your fingers have moisture on them when you feel the soil, your orchid doesn’t need water.
- Mist your orchid daily if you live in a dry climate or in an air conditioned home.
- Feed your orchid fertilizer weekly or monthly. The nutrients will promote healthy growth and reblooming in the future.
- Prune the orchid once a flower has died. Cut the old flower spike near the base of the stem. Orchids rarely rebloom on the same stem.
Orchids can live for years with cared for properly. Well card for orchids will bloom every 6 to 9 months. Happy Planting!