NATIONAL ROAD TRIP DAY
The Friday before Memorial Day is declared National Road Trip Day and serves as the official kickoff of the summer road trip season. With two-thirds of leisure travelers (64 percent)* planning to take vacations this summer, it’s clear that the open road calls when long weekends and Fridays roll around. We pack up, fuel up, stock up and then crank up the tunes. In fact, 63 percent** of road trippers say that having good music, audiobooks and/or podcasts to listen to are the most important parts of a successful road trip. Additionally, three in five road trippers (59 percent) say that having good snacks and drinks for the road, finding great places to eat on the way and finding clean bathrooms to use while traveling are their most important parts of a successful road trip.
Whether we’re seeking adventure, visiting family and friends or making a business connection, road trips are often a rite of passage. Sometimes we endure them, often hearing, “Are we there yet?” And other times we never want them to end; sometimes getting lost can be even more fun than the original plan.
Road trips that begin and end with happy passengers are always the best. Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Plan ahead. Even a spur of the moment trip requires a little planning.
- Two in five (42 percent) road trippers find travel apps very helpful when planning their trip, and mapping out your stops ahead of time can be a great way to save both time and money.
- One way to do so is with the Pilot Flying J app’s enhanced trip planner feature. The trip planner helps users create their route and find Pilot and Flying J locations along the way, showcasing specific amenities, fuel prices and more.
- Vehicle maintenance is vital to any successful road trip. Beyond the routine maintenance like oil changes and sound tires, other simple checks will keep you on the road.
- check your wipers and wiper fluid
- make sure your spare tire and jack are in place
- all lights and signals are working
- condition of your brake pads
- registration is current or not about to expire
- Plot your course. Consider construction, fuel and snack stops, shopping and the interests of the other travelers.
- Road trippers prioritize convenience and efficiency, primarily (58 percent) wanting to stop at all-in-one rest stops (offers gas, food, drinks, coffee, bathrooms, and more.).
- Specifically, the top “road trip essential” snacks are chips and salty foods (52 percent), freshly made, grab-and-go foods (50 percent) and fast food options (49 percent).
How do you travel? There are two kinds of people who take road trips. If you’re going together, you might want to discuss a compromise before hitting the road! The tourist takes their time getting there and doesn’t mind taking backroads to see long-forgotten ghost towns. On the other hand, the pilot enjoys seeing the country from the car, sets a course and frowns upon unscheduled stops or side trips.
No matter the destination, road trips include an element of expectation, and they rarely disappoint. The best road trips bring us closer to people over a stick of beef jerky and car karaoke. They connect us to places through memories, a postcard, and the kindness of strangers.
HOW TO OBSERVE
On National Road Trip Day, share the best snacks, drinks, books and people to take with you. Do you wander the back roads? Take a road trip and share photos of the faces you see and places you go. Check off a long-awaited adventure or share road trip memories. City or country destinations, it doesn’t matter. Fuel up, stock up and share the road using #NationalRoadTripDay on social media. To celebrate National Road Trip Day, drivers can enter the promo code “ROADTRIP” in the Pilot Flying J app starting on May 21 to save an offer for $5 off their next purchase of $10 or more***. The offer can be redeemed from May 21-27,2019****.
In 2019, Pilot Flying J, the largest travel center operator in North America, founded National Road Trip Day, the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, to officially kick off the unofficial first day of the summer travel season. Pilot Flying J prepares all spring for the summer travel season and helps provide guests with the fuel, food, drinks and travel necessities needed to make it from point A to point B as easily and conveniently as possible. With 750 travel center locations in North America, Pilot Flying J is a convenient, one-stop shop for travelers, offering clean bathrooms and a large assortment of snacks, beverages and food options.To learn more about National Road Trip Day, visit pilotflyingj.com/nationalroadtripday.
The Registrar at National Day Calendar proclaimed the first National Road Trip Day in 2019 and to be observed annually on the Friday before Memorial Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day with National Day Calendar®!
*According to AAA Travel survey; April 11, 2019
**According to Zeno Group Research & Insights study; May 13, 2019
***Data rates may apply.
****Excludes fuel, alcohol, lottery and cigarettes.
May 24, 2019
May 29, 2020
May 28, 2021
May 27, 2022
May 26, 2023
May 24, 2024
May 23, 2025
May 22, 2026
May 28, 2027
May 26, 2028
May 25, 2029