INTERNATIONAL PLASTIC FREE DAY
International Plastic Free Day is a call to action and brings attention to the plastic we use every day. On May 25th, commit to using no single-use plastic for one day (including bottles, take-out food containers, utensils, bags and wrappers.)
Over 380 million tons of plastic is produced every year. Half of all plastic produced is single-use – meaning it’s thrown away after just one use. Since only 9% of all plastic gets recycled, most of it ends up littering our communities, filling our landfills, and polluting our oceans.
International Plastic Free Day creates awareness of just how much plastic we use every day, and how we can use less of it. Consider all the ways single-use plastic is used in our daily lives:
- Beverage bottles
- Cleaning products in plastic jugs
- To-go containers
- Food packaging
- Cups, straws, lids
- Storage bags
- Product packaging
Participation is simple: Say “No” to single-use plastics for one day. Don’t buy it, refuse it, don’t use it. The day also encourages learning how to swap sustainable products for single-use plastics. For example, swap:
- Single-use straws with reusable bamboo straws.
- Reusable tumbler for drinking both hot and cold beverages.
- Reusable cloth bags for shopping.
- Silicone bags for sandwiches and snacks.
- Compostable garbage bags.
HOW TO OBSERVE #InternationalPlasticFreeDay
Before May 25th, take the plastic-free challenge and commit to using no single-use plastics all day long. Every time you do, one less piece of plastic will be added to the environment. During International Plastic Free Day you can also:
- Start a conversation about single-use plastic and its impact on the Earth.
- Learn how plastic waste impacts our environment.
- Discover one permanent change you can make to create less plastic waste.
- Visit Free the Ocean for more ways to reduce plastic waste.
When you participate, be sure to use #InternationalPlasticFeeDay and share on social media to help raise awareness.
INTERNATIONAL PLASTIC FREE DAY HISTORY
Free the Ocean founded International Plastic Free Day to raise awareness surrounding one of the most pressing issues involving our environment. The day is a call to action and brings attention to the plastic we use day-to-day.
The Registrar at National Day Calendar proclaimed International Plastic Free Day to be observed annually on May 25th.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!