NATIONAL PET FIRE SAFETY DAY
National Pet Fire Safety Day is observed annually on July 15th. Just like fire drills, pets need consideration when preparing for unexpected fire emergencies.
Our pets are as much a part of our family as any other member. This day stresses the importance of protecting them. Taking preventable measures now can both save your home and your pet. Many times our pets can cause a fire if we don’t take the proper steps.
PET FIRE SAFETY TIPS
- Extinguish open flames. Pets are curious and certainly not cautious. Wagging tails haphazardly knock over candles. Curious kitties will paw at sizzling grease, quickly sending a kitchen up in flames.
- Remove knobs from the stove. When not in use, they will not accidentally get turned on.
- Consider flameless candles for ambiance and backup lighting in the event of a power outage.
- Replace glass water bowls with metal or plastic. Outside on wooden decks, they can heat up and actually start a fire.
- Store leashes and collars near the entrance of your home. When away, have your pets in the main living area for easy rescue.
- Secure young pets when away from home. This can help avoid fire hazards. Pet kennels or in a pet-proofed room are options.
- Fire alert window clings help firefighters identifying the room your pets are located and identify the number of pets in the home. Add one to the window of the room you keep your pets when you are away. Keep it updated with the number of pets who reside with you and your current phone number.
- Have a plan when you are home. Know which family members will be responsible for each pet.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL PET FIRE SAFETY DAY
Put the tips into practice and have a fire drill. Keep your pets and your humans safe! Use #PetFireSafetyDay to post on social media.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL PET FIRE SAFETY DAY
The American Kennel Club in association with ADT Security Services declared National Pet Fire Safety Day in 2009 to educate pet owners on how to take steps to prevent fires and to plan for unexpected emergencies effectively.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!