NATIONAL DAY CALENDAR CLASSROOM – Week of August 20, 2018
In honor of National Radio Day, the National Day Calendar Classroom Week of August 20, 2018, presents a radio show this week. Will you challenge your students to try out their radio voices?
Occasionally, the classroom will offer an Extra Credit Quiz to help with round out the duties each week. This week will incorporate a short quiz featuring information from the podcast and the National Radio Day article. As an added bonus, there’s a crossword puzzle and word find, too!
Sharing on social media isn’t required, learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
Listen with the classroom about National Radio Day and National Day Calendar on August 20, 2018. After everyone has listened and read through National Radio Day, students can take the extra credit quiz at the end of the page. Don’t forget the crossword and word find, too!
- Research the topic or person before the interview
- Ask open-ended questions – don’t ask yes or no questions.
- Prepare questions in advance
- Know how much time you have
- Prepare your guest – let them know why you want to interview them
- Do a practice run, especially of difficult to pronounce names, words or phrases
Challenge your students to create a radio program. Allow them to select a topic, guide them through researching and interviewing their subjects, writing their story and practicing their radio voice. Then help them to record their story!
- Allow students to select topics from a pre-selected list to avoid complications
- During an interview, use the who, what, when, where approach and open-ended questions.
- Use pre-loaded applications on computers to record their story.
- Pair students together to utilize time better.
- How different do their voices sound to them recorded?
Need to offer a little extra credit or get the students in the habit of taking quizzes? We have just the source for you! This week, the subject is National Radio Day. Print the quiz and answer key PDFs and you’re ready to go.