NATIONAL DAY CALENDAR CLASSROOM – Week of September 9, 2018
Wake up sleepy heads! National Day Calendar Classroom has a casual poll for you during the week of September 9, 2018. How many of you make your bed every day? According to National Make Your Bed Day on September 11 and the National Sleep Foundation that’s one way to a better night’s rest. And we all know, a good night’s rest leads to better learning, too!
Imagine what a good nights rest would do for creativity. With all that extra sleep, their imaginations will be primed for National Live Creative Day on September 14! Don’t forget the trivia, crossword puzzles and word searches designed for use in your classrooms.
Sharing on social media isn’t required, learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
Lesson 1 – National Make Your Bed Day Challenge
Start this challenge early in the week. Take a poll of the classroom.
- Who makes their bed every morning?
- Who makes their bed sometimes in the morning?
- Who never makes their bed?
Challenge everyone for the remaining days of the week to make their bed every morning before school. Keep track of the following:
- Was it easier to fall asleep at night?
- Did you sleep better?
- Was it easier to wake in the morning?
- Do you feel more rested when you wake?
- Do you feel more focused during class?
Lesson 2 – National Live Creative Day
National Live Creative Day encourages all types of art. From music to painting to handy crafts, the only limit is the imagination. No matter the supplies available, students will find a way to be creative. With a little guidance and encouragement from you, they will dive into the world of art with abandon. Sometimes, all they need is permission to get dirty.
- Paint with instant coffee. It makes beautiful watercolor paintings.
- Make miniature houses out of toilet paper cardboard.
- Write poems or short stories.
- Put on a puppet show written and performed by your students.
- Dance. Learn a new dance or create your own.
- Finger painting satisfies those of all ages.
- Decorate a cupcake.
- Use building blocks to create something new.