NATIONAL DAY CALENDAR CLASSROOM | Week 27 | February 24, 2019
The classroom has a little fun the week of February 24, 2019. Or is it 1989? Or are we in 1979? We’re not really sure since National Retro Day sends us back in time.
We also offer fun trivia, crossword puzzles, and word searches to keep the classroom interesting all week long. There’s also an archive of all the National Day Calendar Classroom puzzles in one place. Find them all here.
Sharing on social media isn’t required, learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
Event 1 – National Retro Day
- Have students bring pictures of a family member or guardian to create a collage of the retro era they say they grew up in.
- Students dress up for the day in their favorite retro style.
- Study headlines from a retro timeline
- Depending on the age of your school, do a retro hall of fame using old photos of the classrooms, students, and teachers.
Lesson 1 National Read Across America Day & National Speech and Debate Education Day
- Download our Ways to Encourage Reading document to use or share with your students’ families.
- Depending on the age group, challenge your students to read a book or chapter a day more than they normally do.
- In celebration of both National Read Across America Day & National Speech and Debate Education Day, have students read aloud from their favorite book.
- Invite the speech and debate team to provide a demonstration of their skills. Be sure to encourage questions afterward.