NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CARAMEL DAY
A great combination is celebrated each year on National Chocolate Caramel Day. On March 19th, enjoy chocolate and caramel in your favorite candy bar, ice cream, or dessert. It will put a smile on most people’s faces! The combination also invokes some cravings for chocolate caramel coffee, milkshakes, or just about any treat with this hard-to-resist combination.
While Milton Hershey receives a lot of credit for making chocolate caramel popular (he did make his living making caramel first), recipes for chocolate caramels existed as early as the 1880s. At about the same time, the first mass-produced chocolate bar became available.
In 1893, the World’s Colombian Exposition came to Chicago. Hershey’s fascination with an exhibit featuring machinery for the production of German chocolate became apparent. So fascinated, in fact, he purchased the equipment. Soon he was producing chocolate bars, many of which included his company’s bedrock ingredient: caramel.
Chocolate and caramel make a sweet pair. It explains why we find them coupled together in so many recipes. Delicious cakes, bars, brownies, fudge, and cookies get the chocolate caramel treatment. Who wouldn’t want to celebrate this heavenly confection combination?
HOW TO OBSERVE #ChocolateCaramelDay
- Enjoy some chocolate caramel!
- Add caramel to chocolate ice cream.
- Savor your favorite chocolate caramel candy bar.
- Make a delicious chocolate caramel dessert or order one from your favorite bakery.
- Want to add even more variety? Consider that chocolate and caramel also pair well with nuts and whole grains, too. Adding a little dark chocolate and caramel to your granola and yogurt routine in the morning might be a nice treat.
- Also, drizzle this tasty combination over your popcorn.
- Of course, the best way to celebrate is by sharing. Try making up a big batch of your favorite recipe for co-workers or the neighbors. Another option is to create recipe cards to give out to friends and family. We also have one recipe for you to try.
- Enjoy this delicious Dark Chocolate Caramel Corn recipe.
- Use #ChocolateCaramelDay to post on social media.
- Show your love for everything chocolate with our Certified Chocoholic socks! Looking for more ways to celebrate? We have more socks here.
NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CARAMEL DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this sweet national holiday.
Chocolate Caramel FAQ
Q. Is the chocolate in “chocolate caramel” dark, milk or white chocolate?
A. Combine the chocolate you prefer with caramel. Or, enjoy one of each!
Q. Does the day celebrate salted caramel or regular caramel?
A. Combine any chocolate with the caramel you prefer.
Q. Are there other caramel-related holidays on the calendar?
A. Yes! Try these celebrations: