NATIONAL ADOPTION DAY
National Adoption Day raises awareness of the more than 100,000 children in foster care. Each year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, the day focuses on children waiting for permanent, loving families. Not only does the day aim to find homes, but National Adoption Day also helps the dreams of many children and families come true.
In 2015, many courts and communities came together to finalize nearly 4,000 adoptions of children from foster care. Annually, organizations host more than 300 events during this observance. They celebrate dreams that become a reality. In total, more than 58,500 children have been adopted from foster care on this day.
There are many reasons families and individuals choose adoptions. Sometimes they are unable to conceive. Others choose adoption simply to give a child who doesn’t have one a loving home. Many begin as foster parents.
When placing a child for adoption, the decision is often difficult. This emotional journey requires patience, guidance, and support. The support comes from the surrounding community, adoption organizations, social workers, child advocates, families, and friends. Placing the needs of the child first, National Adoption Day celebrates the successful collaboration that brings families together all across the nation.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalAdoptionDay
Support those on their journey of adoption. Educate yourself about adoption. If you’re considering adoption, reach out to the several organizations that guide and support families through the process. Learn about the types of adoptions. Help a family come together.
Explore these 7 Historical Figures Who Were Adopted.
Celebrate with a family you know. Use #NationalAdoptionDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL ADOPTION DAY HISTORY
A Coalition of national partners including The Alliance for Children’s Rights, Children’s Action Network, Freddie Mac Foundation, and Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption started National Adoption Day in 2000. In November of 2000, the sponsors worked with law firms, state foster care agencies, child advocates, and courts to complete hundreds of foster care adoptions in nine jurisdictions nationwide.
- 2001 – 17 jurisdictions participated
- 2002 – Casey Family Services and the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute joined the National Adoption Day Coalition, helping 34 cities across the country finalize 1,350 adoptions and celebrate adoption.
- 2003 – Courts and community organizations in more than 120 jurisdictions across the nation finalized the adoptions of 3,100 children.
- 2004 – More than 3,400 children were adopted from foster care in 200 events in 37 states after courts and community organizations finalized the adoptions.
- 2011 – More than 300 court and community events were held during the national observance.
24 November 2022
18 November 2023
23 November 2024
22 November 2025
21 November 2026
20 November 2027
18 November 2028
17 November 2029