CLASSROOM – Sewing
As we wrap up September, National Sewing Month allows us to put some skills to work in the classroom. Sewing is a skill that comes in handy for a multitude of reasons. From fixing a tear, adding a button, or finding a creative outlet, sewing is a simple craft everyone should experience at least once.
While the month focuses on more advanced sewists, that doesn’t mean the skill can’t be brought into the classroom for all ages and skill levels. We found a few projects for educators and students to try.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Bring your students together to put one of the suggested projects together (or come up with your own!) Have them practice their skills. Invite a parent, local professional, or another teacher into the classroom to demonstrate the benefits of sewing.
Follow us on Instagram @natdaycal and Twitter @NationalDayCal. It’s where teachers seem to love us the most. Also, we’ll let you know when there’s a new project in our evening posts. To receive them, subscribe to the website at www.nationaldaycalendar.com.
Of course, as always, sharing on social media isn’t required; learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
THIS WEEK’S PROJECTS
We searched the internet for ideas and ways to bring sewing skills to your students. This is what we found:
- Sewing cards from cardboard – Whether your students take them home or you keep them in the classroom for future practice, these cards will come in handy and help with fine motor skills.
- Button Bracelets – Break out the button collections (you know parents have some to share, too) to create these fun bracelets.
- Tic Tac Toe game – This project will keep the fun going. When students finish their project, let the games begin!
- Bookmarks – Books are a part of every classroom. These simple ribbon and button combos will be easy to complete and then use!
- Paper Plate Pumpkin – This fall project could be easily modified to make a spider web, too!
Do you have projects you’d like to share for this classroom? Be sure to send them our way using the Contact Us link.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!