CLASSROOM – Names
What’s in a name? We all have a name we call ourselves. Many times, it’s the one we were given at birth. Sometimes, it’s a nickname. However, sometimes the names we call each other are mean and unkind. This week in the classroom, National No Name-Calling Week inspires us to talk about the names we use to describe ourselves and others. More specifically, the aim is to get to know each other better and to show a little kindness toward each other. Knowing someone better and finding a common interest helps us to connect. Then we have no reason to call each other names we wouldn’t call ourselves.
HOW TO OBSERVE in the CLASSROOM – Names
Download and print this week’s projects about kindness and open up dialogue in your classroom about name-calling and kindness. You can also follow the suggestions below to help your students explore the days in their own way. It might surprise you what they discover! We’re often surprised by our own discoveries!
Celebrate Every Day in the Classroom by:
1. Asking a question about the day or observance and finding the answer.
2. Exploring the subject further. Whether you read a book, interview an expert, watch a documentary, or run an experiment, there is always more to learn about the observance.
3. Writing about the day or observance. You can write about what you learned or what the day means to you.
4. Telling someone about the day. You might be sharing information that is helpful to someone. Or, you might brighten someone’s day.
5. Solving a problem. Many observances discuss issues around the world that need fixing. How would you fix it?
6. Being creative. Draw, paint, build, design, bake, create your idea of what the observance means.
Of course, as always, sharing on social media isn’t required; learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
THIS WEEK’S PROJECTS
We’ve provided projects to cover every age group and help start conversations. We also include this week’s Celebration Challenge.
- Celebration Challenge – Week 42 – January 17-21
- Kindness Fortune Instructions
- The video created by How to Origami shows how to fold the Kindness Fortune.
- Kindness Fortune Grades K-3
- Kindness Fortune Grades 4 and up
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!