CLASSROOM – Herbs and Spices
National Herbs and Spices Day in June inspires this week’s classroom. It gives us the opportunity to explore the herbs and spices that add flavor and aroma to our cooking. Whether the seasonings are dry or fresh, they make our food taste better. They also reflect on our heritage and culture. As we grow, some herbs and spices become familiar and remind us of home, events and seasons. Our project this week will explore the way these herbs and spices impact all our senses.
We also offer another Celebration Challenge to help you explore the rest of the week!
HOW TO OBSERVE in the CLASSROOM – Herbs and Spices
Download and print this week’s projects and give your students the opportunity to explore herbs and spices. You can also follow the suggestions below to help your students explore the days in their own way. It might surprise you what they discover! We’re often surprised by our own discoveries!
Celebrate Every Day in the Classroom by:
1. Asking a question about the day or observance and finding the answer.
2. Exploring the subject further. Whether you read a book, interview an expert, watch a documentary, or run an experiment, there is always more to learn about the observance.
3. Writing about the day or observance. You can write about what you learned or what the day means to you.
4. Telling someone about the day. You might be sharing information that is helpful to someone. Or, you might brighten someone’s day.
5. Solving a problem. Many observances discuss issues around the world that need fixing. How would you fix it?
6. Being creative. Draw, paint, build, design, bake, create your idea of what the observance means.
Of course, as always, sharing on social media isn’t required; learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
THIS WEEK’S PROJECTS
Download and print this week’s projects. On the first one we even left a page blank for students to choose their own herbs and spices to explore.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!