CLASSROOM – Astronaut
This week’s Classroom is out of this world as we talk about astronauts. For hundreds of years, humans have been curious about space, but not until the 20th century were we able to harness the ability to leave the confines of Earth and finally travel beyond its boundaries. Since the 1960s, humans have been leaving Earth to study the effects of space exploration and to push the limitations of the human body. We’ve sent spacecraft farther and farther into the universe and even beyond our own galaxy.
National Astronaut Day inspires this week’s classroom, one of our founder Marlo Anderson’s favorite days. We explore the space firsts and offer a fun coloring page, too. We also continue our weekly challenges.
HOW TO OBSERVE in the CLASSROOM- Astronaut
Download and print this week’s project and give your students the opportunity to explore the national days in their own way. It might surprise you what they discover! We’re often surprised by our own discoveries!
Celebrate Every Day in the Classroom by:
1. Asking a question about the day or observance and finding the answer.
2. Exploring the subject further. Whether you read a book, interview an expert, watch a documentary, or run an experiment, there is always more to learn about the observance.
3. Writing about the day or observance. You can write about what you learned or what the day means to you.
4. Telling someone about the day. You might be sharing information that is helpful to someone. Or, you might brighten someone’s day.
5. Solving a problem. Many observances discuss issues around the world that need fixing. How would you fix it?
6. Being creative. Draw, paint, build, design, bake, create your idea of what the observance means.
Of course, as always, sharing on social media isn’t required; learning is. But if you do, please use #NDCClassroom to share on social media.
THIS WEEK’S PROJECTS
Space! There’s so much to explore! Download this week’s projects and let us know what you think.
- Astronaut coloring page
- Space Firsts Matching
- Space Firsts Matching – Key
- Week 9 Challenge – May 3-7, 2021
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!