NATIONAL SELF-EMPLOYED DAY | May 4
National Self-Employed Day on May 4 honors the dedicated individuals that bravely venture out to create their own business to support themselves, their families, and their community.
Self-employed business owners are amongst the hardest working individuals you’ll ever meet. They continuously strive to meet their goals to be successful. The self-employed business owner never quits and faces every obstacles they encounter head on. In fact, there is very little that can stop a self-employed business owner from succeeding.
What Does Self-Employed Mean?
Being self-employed means a person does not work for a specific employer or business. Instead, they work for themselves and earn their income by doing business directly. Even though self-employment provides more job flexibility and freedom, it also requires a lot of commitment and dedication. A self-employed person must devote valuable time and energy to earn their wages and pay their bills.
Controlling Your Destiny
As a self-employed individual, you are in complete control of your destiny. Your passion to move forward and become an independent employee enables you to take your dream as far as you want. You have creative control over your ideas and how you want to implement them. In fact, you choose your own work environment, which includes whether or not you want or need employees to help you on your journey.
Establishing self-employment allows you to grow your knowledge and fine-tune your skill set. Your learning curve never ends because being self-employed gives enough variety in your daily routine to allow constant growth. In fact, self-employment helps you build and create your own network of clients.
Network building when you are self-employed is an important piece of your success. By increasing your network, you learn more about business than your realize from your peers. In addition, you learn from their successes and failures, which help you make better decisions for yourself in the long run. A good, strong network brings a group of like-minded people together, yourself included, that encourage, help, and assist each other as your businesses grow.
- Learn about how to become self-employed.
- Take a class about owning a business.
- Support the local self-employed business owners in your community.
- Take a self-employed friend or family member out to dinner to celebrate their accomplishments.
- Offer to speak at a start-up networking gathering to share your experience with others who are looking to start a new business to become self-employed.
- Lend a helping hand to a self-employed friend or family member by offering to file paperwork, answer phones, or look up contact information for potential clients.
- Treat yourself to a little self-care time if you are a self-employed individual.
- Share your love and support for the self-employed person in you life using #NationalSelfEmployedDay on social media.
THE VOICE OF THE SELF-EMPLOYED
In 2022, National Day Calendar formed a partnership with Jeffrey Shaw, the founder of The Self-Employed Business Institute. The collaboration created National Self-Employed Day to be celebrated each year on May 4.
Jeffrey Shaw is the founder of the Voices of the Self-Employed advocacy group and The Self-Employed Business Institute. He is also the creator of The Self-Employed Summit. He is a well-known leader and advocate for self-employed business owners. As a speaker and small business coach, Jeffrey helps self-employed and small business owners gain control of their business in what seems like otherwise uncontrollable circumstances. Drawing on his experience as a renowned portrait photographer, Jeffrey shows business owners how to see business through a different lens. He shares strategies to compose the often-chaotic pieces of life and business into sustainable success.
In addition, Jeffrey is also a sought-after keynote speaker whose TEDxLincolnSquare talk is featured on TED.com. He has a passion for bringing his message to audiences through live and virtual presentations.
- The Self-Employed Life: Business and Personal Development Strategies That Create Sustainable Success
- LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer’s Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible.