Category: Pop Culture & Lifestyle
Protected: NATIONAL GAME SHOW DAY | June 1
Protected: NATIONAL FROSTED COOKIE DAY | June 10
NATIONAL FAMILY FUN DAY | Sunday Before Memorial Day
NATIONAL FAMILY FUN DAY
Today is May 28 and the Sunday before Memorial Day at National Day Calendar and we are celebrating National Family Fun Day. This National Day is encouraging families to celebrate everywhere to create some family fun during the long weekend and every day!
People across the U.S. use Memorial Weekend as the time to begin summer fun. Families are camping for the first time this season, attending graduations, and having family reunions. National Family Fun Day is your reminder that you don’t have to plan a huge event to enjoy today’s National Day.
We know that not everyone has opportunity to plan a get away. Some people work, some may not be able to afford a long vacation for their family, and some people are too exhausted to go on a weekend getaway. National Family Fun Day presents a unique opportunity for families to create their own fun and make memories. No matter where they are. Let’s celebrate National Family Fun Day and enjoy the day with our family. In fact, we are going to explain how you can have a family fun day close to home.
Why is it important to spend time with family?
Families are busy and it can be difficult to spent time together. Sadly, many get caught up in the daily activities of children, work, and family obligations. Families that spend time together are supportive of one another. When families spend time together they tend to have a greater sense of purpose and feel supportive of one another.
Studies show that healthy family relationships encourage security and love. Spending time with family offers the benefits of forming unbreakable bonds. As a family, we learn to offer support and encourage other family members to excel.
5 Important Reasons to Make Family Time
- Builds confidence.
- Creates a strong emotional bond.
- Improves communication between family members.
- Builds lasting memories.
- Promotes better behavior for kids.
It’s not always easy to make time to have fun, especially if you are extremely busy. However, it is important to find a balance. There are simple things you can do to ensure your family relationships remain strong. Quality time means spending time together and doing something everyone enjoys. Incorporating a fun element is easy once you realize being together to make memories is the fun part.
10 NATIONAL FAMILY FUN DAY IDEAS
Family fun begins with getting together and enjoying the day. In fact, there are so many activities you can plan where fun doesn’t have to mean expensive. Fun can mean finding simple, easy, stress-free activities for your family to participate in. Family fun can be:
- Planning a picnic at the local park or lake.
- Taking a nature walk and identify bugs, critters, and leaves.
- Hosting a cookout and playing yard games.
- Baking and then enjoying the yummy goodness together.
- Planning, preparing, and eating dinner with your family.
- Making s’mores around a campfire and stargaze afterwards.
- Starting a small garden for you and your family to work on together all summer long.
- Visiting a local museum.
- Researching your family history and documenting everything for future family.
- Sharing your family fun on social media by tagging #NationalFamilyFunDay.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL FAMILY FUN DAY
National Day Calendar created National Family Fun Day in 2023 to encourage families to spend time together. Today’s National Day reminds people to take a step back and do something fun together. We want everyone to enjoy the little things in life and family fun is a small way to relax, laugh, and unwind and #CelebrateEveryDay.
Related National Days on the National Day Calendar
- NATIONAL ELLIS ISLAND FAMILY HISTORY DAY | April 17
- NATIONAL VISIT YOUR RELATIVES DAY | May 18
- NATIONAL FAMILY DAY | 4th Monday in September
INTERNATIONAL VOLKSWAGEN® BUS DAY | June 2
INTERNATIONAL VOLKSWAGEN® BUS DAY
Today is not only June 2, it is also International Volkswagen Bus Day and we are celebrating an iconic past while taking a ride into the future. Come along as we celebrate a global icon with an unmistakable design that has brought smiles to the faces of generations–the Volkswagen Bus.
The Volkswagen Type 2, better known as simply the Volkswagen Bus (VW Bus), is an automotive icon that continues to captivate people from around the globe. Introduced in 1950, it has become a vehicular symbol of a counterculture movement.
The original Volkswagen Bus design was specifically for commercial use. However, it would quickly adapt to a family vehicle because of its ability to transport people comfortably. Interestingly, the bus has also been used for a wide variety of other applications, including campers, ambulances, and even a mobile recording studio. In fact, the most famous and well-known association for the VW Bus may be its association with the 1960s era. This is especially true after the bus became a cultural icon for those in attendance to the Woodstock Music & Arts Festival in 1969.
Volkswagen ID. Buzz Arrives in America
On June 2, 2023, Volkswagen of America will introduce a modern-day reincarnation of the Volkswagen Bus-–the ID. Buzz to the general public. The new ID. Buzz brings the nostalgic vibes of the original Volkswagen Bus into the 21st century. The ID. Buzz is an all-new, all-electric version of the beloved VW Bus classic.
5 Fun Volkswagen Bus Facts
- Since the 1960s, the VW Bus has been an inspiration for art, including paintings and photographs.
- The VW Bus will forever be associated as a “hippie van” because of the impact it had while traveling to Woodstock in 1969.
- The VW Bus has been popular in television and film, including That ’70s Show and Cars, the animated film by Pixar.
- The VW Bus has a huge enthusiast following. In fact, the bus is often a main feature in car rallies and shows around the world.
- The original VW Bus is a highly sought after vehicle for car collectors and vehicle restoration specialists. The rarity of finding an original VW Bus is becoming harder and harder.
JOIN THE CELEBRATION
- Share you photos, stories, and memories about your VW Bus on social media using #VWBusDay.
- Join Volkswagen Bus owners and enthusiasts, media influencers, and the general public on June 2 in Huntington Beach, California to celebrate International Volkswagen Bus Day.
- Take a road trip in your Volkswagen Bus with your family.
- Attend a car show and register your VW Bus to be in the show.
- Attend an car auction to see how the VW Bus and other VW vehicles sell to collectors and buyers.
- Learn about the great features the new ID. Buzz will offer consumers.
HISTORY IN THE MAKING
National Day Calendar and Volkswagen of America began a collaboration to establish International Volkswagen Bus Day to be celebrated each year on June 2. This International Day celebrates the iconic Volkswagen Bus and the new ID. Buzz, bringing smiles to the faces of generations, past, present, future.
Volkswagen of America is committed to the heritage of the Volkswagen Bus.
Are there any museums I can see vehicles from the Volkswagen through the years? Absolutely! There are a few museums in the U.S. where you can see a variety of VW vehicles and here is our shortlist:
- The Petersen Museum | Los Angeles, CA
- America’s Car Museum | Tacoma, WA
- Museum of Drag Racing | Ocala, FL
- Volo Museum | Volo, IL
- The National Automobile Museum | Reno, NV
Related National Days
- National Name Your Car Day | October 2nd
- Collector Car Appreciation Day | Changes Annually
NATIONAL SPORT SAMPLING DAY | 241st Day of the Year
Today is the 241st day of the year (or August 29) and we are on a mission to celebrate National Sport Sampling Day. Today, we encourage kids and families alike, to try a new sport or play one they haven’t in a long time. In fact, we want to provide and promote opportunities for every child to grow physically and emotionally through the power of sports.
There is power in play. National Sport Sampling Day gives power to children who love to play sports by sampling more than one sport. Sampling more than one sport provides opportunity for children to grow physically and emotionally. Sampling new sports calls for action to enter into a world of new experiences and memories. On National Sport Sampling Day, we are inspiring kids to take action by exploring more than one sport.
5 Benefits of Sports
- Teaches problem-solving skills.
- Helps maintain healthy habits for both mind and body.
- Builds self-esteem and boosts self-image.
- Encourages new friendships.
- Promotes learning to work with other people.
Some people view sports as a distraction to children and young adults. Playing sports requires time, dedication, and energy that could be better focused on school. However, children who play sports tend to actually be more focused on school because being successful in school allows them to play sports. In fact, playing sports promotes self-determination, good work ethic, and requires goals. All of which are the same as goals as any dedicated student.
The vision of 2-4-1 CARE is a world at play with individuals who are physically and emotionally well.2-4-1CARE.ORG
Life’s 2 Short 4 Just 1 Sport
There are many organizations around the world that support children in sports. One organization is the 2-4-1 CARE organization. Their mission is to provide all children equal opportunity to grow on an emotional and physical playing field, while using the power of sports to take action. Athletes and families can use their personal power to train, learn, and develop skills for their sport and to use in their life, too.
Being a child is about learning and experiencing new things. Sampling new sports is no exception. Children should never be tied to one specific sport, especially if there is opportunity to expand participating in something new. As an international movement, 2-4-1 CARE supports the bravery to explore other sports and bring fun back to playing.
What is 2-4-1 CARE?
National Sports Sampling Day celebrates the story of an organization that is becoming the most recognized sport sampling program in the country. As an inspiration proving that taking action is more powerful than not trying, 2-4-1 CARE is building their reputation by approaching sport-sampling in local schools and rec programs. While developing programs that focus on participating and encouragement, 2-4-1 Care serves the underserved and disenfranchised who may not otherwise be given the opportunity to try sports.
Culture, ability, relationship, and enjoyment are values that drive us to create and deliver quality programs. These programs produce positive outcomes for the families and communities that CARE:
- C is for Culture. The value of culture starts with an understanding of respect for all cultures. Promoting equality within groups and communities brings positive success for all children participating.
- A is for Ability. Valuing different abilities of each individual develops confidence and motivation to be active for life. Learning how to develop confidence sets a pace for finding individual abilities. Because abilities vary from child to child, spending time finding the talent of each child builds confidence.
- R is for Relationship. Positive relationships are a great way to learn socially and emotionally. Discovering why sports and interactive play-based environments are important brings awareness and relationship skills, eventually guiding participants through sport participation and beyond.
- E is for EnJOYment: Playing sports is competitive, but should always be fun and enJOYable for everyone. Maintaining an enjoyable experience while playing sports impacts each child emotionally. This emotional impact encourages each child to feel a sense of pride.
SPORT SAMPLING SUPPORT
- Sign your child up for youth sports to begin learning the benefits of being involved in a sport.
- Support a local youth sports club by volunteering to be a coach.
- Get outside with your family and enjoy a game of soccer or baseball.
- Host a family day for your friends and family and teach the children how to play a new game.
- Support 2-4-1-CARE by donating your time, money, or resources to help those not otherwise able to participate in a local sport.
- Share your special moments of physical play on social media using #NationalSportSamplingDay.
In 2022, National Day Calendar began working with 2-4-1 Care to form National Sport Sampling Day. Each year on the 241st day of the year, we encourage kids and families alike, to try a new sport or appreciate the sport they already play.
In 2006, Steve and Kerry Boyle’s nine-year-old daughter was told after a travel soccer team tryout that she was the coach’s number 1 prospect. After continued conversations about the program and commitment, Steve mentioned their daughter was also showing interest in trying lacrosse. Steve was wondering if there would be a conflict in the spring. Unfortunately, the coach went silent. With a mix of anger and awkwardness, the coach said, “We’re no longer interested in your daughter.”
That defining moment led Steve and Kerry to wonder how a nine-year-old went from the number 1 prospect to no longer being allowed to participate. Was it really because she was interested in trying another sport? Instead of becoming angry, Steve and Kerry took that moment and made it into a movement. They came up with the tagline “Life’s 2 Short 4 Just 1 Sport” and started a multi-sport small camp for girls in Hartford, Connecticut. Four short years later, the Aspen Institute’s Sport and Society Program has recognized 2-4-1 as one of 8 model programs in the U.S. for their approach to Sport Sampling.
Our hope is that by trying a new sport, individuals may pursue it further or it will help them to appreciate the ones they already play but might take for granted.Steve and Kerry Boyle, Founders of National Sport Sampling Day
Today, 2-4-1 CARE is a 501c3 with a mission to provide all children with the opportunity to grow physically and emotionally through the play-filled power of sport. The numbers “2-4-1” come from the tagline “Life’s 2 Short 4 Just 1 Sport.” The story of those numbers becoming the most recognized sport sampling program in the country is an inspiration, proving taking action is more powerful than simply complaining.
In 2021, the 2-4-1 CARE organization reached more than 5,000 children across North America through curriculum and programming. Unsurprisingly, Steve and Kerry had an increased desire to reach more children in underserved communities. They converted the entire organization to a 501c3, officially making 2-4-1 Sports a signature program.
Under 2-4-1 CARE, 2-4-1 Sports has a curriculum and programming in Colorado, Idaho, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, North Carolina, Connecticut, and Vancouver, Canada. 2-4-1 was recently identified as a national resource in Sport Sampling in the State of Play, Oakland report. Amazingly, the report as sponsored and announced by Stephen and Ayesha Curry’s Eat.Play.Learn. Foundation.
Follow 2-4-1 CARE on any of their social media platforms to learn more and support their organization.
Related National Days on the Calendar
- National Get Up Day – February 1
- National Student-Athlete Day – April 6
- National Girls and Women in Sports Day – Changes Annually
- National Sports Day – October 16
NATIONAL SUGARBEE® APPLE DAY | May 20
NATIONAL SUGARBEE® APPLE DAY
Today is May 20 and we want everyone to grab a crispy, juicy SugarBee® apple and enjoy the un-bee-lievable eating experience as you celebrate National SugarBee® Apple Day.
SugarBee® apples were developed by honeybees. One sunny day an adventurous honeybee was flying through the orchards collecting pollen. The bee transferred pollen from an unknown apple variety to a Honeycrisp apple blossom. Mother Nature did her part and the SugarBee® apple was born!
SugarBee® apples are a naturally occurring apple variety grown in Washington state. Their crisp juiciness and honey sweet flavor provide a wonderful apple eating experience. In fact, they are perfect for snacking, baking, saucing, and juicing.
SugarBee® apples also have great versatility and nutritional value. They are sweeter and crispier than most apples and have a touch of acidity that adds a complexity to make you crave your next bite.
What is a SugarBee® Apple?
- An all-natural premium apple variety created by honeybees!
- Notes of honey, caramel and molasses.
- Crisp, firm texture, and a crunchy bite.
- Juicy, aromatic and just the right amount of sweetness.
- Perfect for a variety of seasonal treats like caramel apples, ciders and more.
- Pairs well with cheeses like smoked gouda and sharp cheddar
“Oh Honey, that’s good!”™SugarBee® Apples
Many of our SugarBee® growers are part of 4th and 5th generation families who are passionate about growing high quality apples, pears, and cherries. They are committed to best agriculture and business practices so their families can continue to farm for future generations. In fact, the growers work hard to grow fresh, healthy, crisp, and tasty apples for families to enjoy around the world.
Most apples need pollen from a different variety of apple to set fruit. Through the process known as “cross-pollination,” orchardists work hard to ensure compatible varieties are planted near one another so the apples will be juicy and sweet. Today’s National Day is dedicated to the SugarBee® variety of fresh apples and the growers who bring them to us.
A Bite of Apple History
Some historians believe apples were domesticated anywhere between 4000-10,000 years ago in the Tian Shan mountains in central Asia. Sometime during the late 16th century, French Jesuits brought seeds to North America. Since then, over 200 different varieties of apples are available, with SugarBee® apples being one of the tastiest available.
SWEET & CRISP CELEBRATIONS
- Visit an orchard in Washington state that grows SugarBee® apples.
- Attend an apple festival near you.
- Buy some SugarBee® apples.
- Try our Apple Strudel recipe using SugarBee® apples.
- Make apple butter using SugarBee® apples.
- Bob for apples using the SugarBee® apple as the grand prize.
- Share your love for SugarBee® apples on social media using #SugarBeeAppleDay.
INTRODUCING NATIONAL SUGARBEE® APPLE DAY
National Day Calendar® and Chelan Fresh began working together in 2023 to establish National SugarBee® Apple Day. Each year on May 20, we encourage everyone to grab a crispy, juicy SugarBee® Apple and enjoy the honey sweet flavor.
Chuck Nystrom receives credit for developing the SugarBee® apple. The Minnesota native discovered the apple after an accidental cross pollination between the Honeycrisp and an unknown variety. Over a thousand miles away in the elevated orchards of North Central Washington state, word of this sweet new apple made its way growers. Everyone agreed “Oh honey, that’s good!”. Thanks to North Central Washington’s warm summer days, cool evening breezes and fertile valleys, orchards offer the ideal growing conditions for the apple.
What other apple days on the National Day Calendar?
NATIONAL PATCH DAY | June 24
NATIONAL PATCH DAY
June 24th is National Patch Day, and we encourage everyone to send a token of love to a child in need of support, kindness, and healing in the form of a patch. Today, let us wrap our arms around any child who is struggling with disease, mental illness, the loss of a loved one, or simply going through a difficult time.
Children and teens face enormous pressure in the world today. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, “36.7% of adolescents between the ages of 12-17 have reported persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness.” When physical and mental health challenges compound these pressures, things can quickly start to feel overwhelming for kids. Unsurprisingly, it can be hard to know what we can do to help a child experiencing sickness, grief, or other challenges. Luckily, National Patch Day encourages everyone to show support for kids (and their families) as they navigate through their varied journeys.
Phone calls, emails, or text messages can fall short during the challenges of everyday life, as well as during family struggles or illnesses. However, receiving an unexpected gift in the mail can work magic. Imagine a child opening their mailbox to find a surprise package from a loved one just for them. In fact, sending physical mail is a powerful way to let a young person know you care, especially in our increasingly digital world. A tangible token of love can alleviate loneliness and foster a sense of true support. Reaching out through the mail reinforces connections in a busy world and reminds our loved ones they are not alone on their journey.
The Oliver Patch Project
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), about 47 children are diagnosed with cancer in the US each day. Although childhood cancer is considered rare in comparison to adult diagnosis, it is still the leading cause of death from disease in children under 20 years old. These unfortunate statistics provided inspiration for the inception of the Oliver Patch Project.
The Oliver Patch Project patches are so much more than pieces of material. Our patches reinforce hope, mend loneliness, and repair self doubt. Our patches represent support, compassion, and strength. Our patches are tokens of love, and are the symbols of our Warriors.”Brian and Trisha, Oliver’s parents
In May 2020, nine-year-old Oliver Burkhardt was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. In the immediate aftermath of Oliver’s diagnosis, family and friends reached out to his parents asking how they could help show Oliver love and support. The Burkhardt’s came up with a simple idea to help Oliver keep a positive attitude. They asked people to send Oliver patches in the mail. Each patch Oliver received was sewn onto the jean jacket he wore to and from hospital visits as a reminder of all the people who were rooting for him.
Oliver’s jacket became his suit of armor. It made him feel strong and loved while fighting his battle, and he wore it like a warrior with pride. Oliver’s parents saw the positive impact these little gifts of love had on Oliver, and they decided to bring that same positivity to other kids with cancer by creating the Oliver Patch Project (OPP). National Patch Day is an extension of the Oliver Patch Project that wraps its arms around any child who is struggling with disease, mental illness, the loss of a loved one, or simply going through a difficult time.
The Oliver Patch Project’s mission is to create free, fun, and engaging patches for children with childhood cancers. Together with artists and designers, the children and their families create a series of unique patches meant to empower and lift their child up. Each child becomes a warrior during their journey, showing their patches off as they reach significant milestones. Like knights preparing for battle, the Oliver Patch Project Warriors suit up in their warrior jacket “armor” and earn Milestone Patches for each medical milestone treatment they complete along their cancer journey.
By definition, a milestone is a significant event in the development of a person. For childhood cancer patients, milestones symbolize progress when challenges are overcome. Their bravery is worthy of celebration. The Oliver Patch Project acknowledges those milestones with patches of the thirteen bravest and strongest animals on earth. These animals represent the 13 major medical milestones a child will face on their cancer journey. All animals represent strength, bravery, and resilience.
Why is The Oliver Patch Project so special?
- The Oliver Patch Project is about community support. That support is a critical part of wellness, especially during and after a traumatic illness.
- The project builds rapport and connection between the child and their medical team. This bond helps children get through challenging and uncomfortable procedures.
- The patches provide children with cancer validation of being seen and recognized for their efforts and valor during their healing process.
- All achievement badges (patches) are a familiar symbol for children and provide acknowledgement for real life experiences. The patches remind them they are heroes.
- Warriors may not know how to share their experiences with others or know what to say about their diagnosis, treatment, or recovery. Their patches allow them to talk about their journey in a positive way.
- Earning and collecting patches is a family endeavor that has benefits for parents and guardians. Seeing their child be positive about their patches helps loved ones feel positive too.
6 WAYS TO SUPPORT THE OLIVER PATCH PROJECT
- Volunteer for the Oliver Patch Project Warriors as a designer, artist, writer, tech support, or social media whiz. Visit I Want To Volunteer to learn more.
- Send your favorite patch to the Oliver Patch Project and they will share it with one of their Warriors. Reach out to the Oliver Patch Project to Learn More about getting started.
- Let a loved one know you care by sending them a patch. Click the Send A Patch link to send a patch to your loved one.
- Create a patch design for a child battling cancer. If you have a design you would love to share, you can Design A Patch here.
- Donate time or give a monetary donation to the Oliver Patch Project.
- Spread awareness by sharing the positive impact of the Oliver Patch Project. Share you and your family’s story using #NationalPatchDay on social media.
In February 2023, National Day Calendar welcomed the Oliver Patch Project to our Founder Family. Each year on June 24, we will celebrate National Patch Day as a day empower kids with cancer to find their inner warrior. We also encourage everyone to send a token of love to someone in need of support, kindness, and healing.
The Burkhardt Family, Brian, Trisha, Oliver, and Peter, took an impossible situation, a cancer diagnosis, and turned it into something positive. They received love in the form of patches, and now each day they are paying it forward to other families whose children are in treatment for cancer through the Oliver Patch Project. The impact of receiving patches from loved ones and strangers changed their lives for the better.
The Burkhardt family is grateful to report that as of July 13, 2022, Oliver is in remission and living his best life. The legacy of his patch project has grown into a thriving non-profit organization that brings joy and hope to children with pediatric cancers all over the U.S.
Visit the Oliver Patch Project to learn more about the organization and the services it provides.
NATIONAL SELF-EMPLOYED DAY | May 4
NATIONAL SELF-EMPLOYED DAY | May 4
National Self-Employed Day on May 4 honors the dedicated individuals that bravely venture out to create their own business to support themselves, their families, and their community.
Self-employed business owners are amongst the hardest working individuals you’ll ever meet. They continuously strive to meet their goals to be successful. The self-employed business owner never quits and faces every obstacles they encounter head on. In fact, there is very little that can stop a self-employed business owner from succeeding.
What Does Self-Employed Mean?
Being self-employed means a person does not work for a specific employer or business. Instead, they work for themselves and earn their income by doing business directly. Even though self-employment provides more job flexibility and freedom, it also requires a lot of commitment and dedication. A self-employed person must devote valuable time and energy to earn their wages and pay their bills.
Controlling Your Destiny
As a self-employed individual, you are in complete control of your destiny. Your passion to move forward and become an independent employee enables you to take your dream as far as you want. You have creative control over your ideas and how you want to implement them. In fact, you choose your own work environment, which includes whether or not you want or need employees to help you on your journey.
Establishing self-employment allows you to grow your knowledge and fine-tune your skill set. Your learning curve never ends because being self-employed gives enough variety in your daily routine to allow constant growth. In fact, self-employment helps you build and create your own network of clients.
Network building when you are self-employed is an important piece of your success. By increasing your network, you learn more about business than your realize from your peers. In addition, you learn from their successes and failures, which help you make better decisions for yourself in the long run. A good, strong network brings a group of like-minded people together, yourself included, that encourage, help, and assist each other as your businesses grow.
- Learn about how to become self-employed.
- Take a class about owning a business.
- Support the local self-employed business owners in your community.
- Take a self-employed friend or family member out to dinner to celebrate their accomplishments.
- Offer to speak at a start-up networking gathering to share your experience with others who are looking to start a new business to become self-employed.
- Lend a helping hand to a self-employed friend or family member by offering to file paperwork, answer phones, or look up contact information for potential clients.
- Treat yourself to a little self-care time if you are a self-employed individual.
- Share your love and support for the self-employed person in you life using #NationalSelfEmployedDay on social media.
THE VOICE OF THE SELF-EMPLOYED
In 2022, National Day Calendar formed a partnership with Jeffrey Shaw, the founder of The Self-Employed Business Institute. The collaboration created National Self-Employed Day to be celebrated each year on May 4.
Jeffrey Shaw is the founder of the Voices of the Self-Employed advocacy group and The Self-Employed Business Institute. He is also the creator of The Self-Employed Summit. He is a well-known leader and advocate for self-employed business owners. As a speaker and small business coach, Jeffrey helps self-employed and small business owners gain control of their business in what seems like otherwise uncontrollable circumstances. Drawing on his experience as a renowned portrait photographer, Jeffrey shows business owners how to see business through a different lens. He shares strategies to compose the often-chaotic pieces of life and business into sustainable success.
In addition, Jeffrey is also a sought-after keynote speaker whose TEDxLincolnSquare talk is featured on TED.com. He has a passion for bringing his message to audiences through live and virtual presentations.
- The Self-Employed Life: Business and Personal Development Strategies That Create Sustainable Success
- LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer’s Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible.
NATIONAL SPRAY TANNING DAY | Third Thursday in March
NATIONAL SPRAY TANNING DAY | Third Thursday in March
Get your glow on and celebrate National Spray Tanning Day on the third Thursday in March by getting a fresh spray tan!
After the winter, our skin can be dull and dry. Today on National Spray Tanning Day, prepare to glow all spring and summer with a natural spray tan. In fact, spray tanning is a great way to achieve a healthy head-to-toe glow and is customizable for any skin tone.
There are two types of spray tanning. The first uses an automated spray booth. The second uses a professional spray tan artist creating an air-brushed glow using a handheld spray machine. Both options allow for a customizable and desirable color that compliments all skin tones. In addition, both types of spray tanning involve being sprayed with a liquid solution that contains dihydroxyacetone (DHA).
Dihydroxyacetone is a naturally derived and fermented active ingredient that reacts with your skin to mimic a tan for a temporary amount of time. After getting a spray tan, it’s important to leave the solution on your skin for between four and 24 hours, rinsing when you have achieved your desired color. A spray tan:
- Provides a sun-kissed glow in just minutes.
- Evens out uneven skin complexion.
- Gives skin a more toned appearance.
- Boosts confidence.
- Can be customized based on your preferences.
- Contains vitamins to lock moisture into skin.
- Gives an even and streak-free tan.
- Offers an option for tan lines.
- Includes optional scents based on your preferences.
There are many benefits to spray tanning. Not only can you achieve a sun-kissed look in just minutes, spray tanning also gives you a major confidence boost! The average spray tan, whether it be in an automatic booth or by a professional spray tan artist, takes about 5 minutes. For most people, when taking the route of traditional sun tanning, it can take hours or days to begin seeing a sun-kissed glow. Sadly, many people receive a sunburn instead of a tan when choosing the traditional sun tanning.
How Do You Prepare for a Spray Tan?
Preparing for a spray tan can help to elevate your overall experience. To get the most natural looking and long-lasting tan, be sure to:
- Shower, exfoliate, and shave/wax 24-28 hours before your session.
- Arrive for your appointment with clean skin. Do not apply moisturizers, deodorant, oils, or make-up before your appointment.
- Wear loose-fitting, dark colored clothing to prevent bronzer transfer.
- Schedule your manicure and/or pedicure appointments prior to your spray tan appointment, so that your tan does not fade prematurely.
- Bring a rain jacket if there is a chance of rain to protect your tan while it is developing.
- Avoid rinsing or getting wet for a minimum of 4 hours. You can leave your tan on for up to 24 hours before rinsing.
Post Spray Tan Tips
Your post-spray tan care is just as important as the preparation! Be sure to keep in mind the following tips to help your tan last as long as possible:
- Rinse your spray tan with warm water and minimal soap/scrubbing.
- Pat dry after rinsing your tan instead of wiping off moisture.
- Apply moisturizer after your shower and then daily to extend your tan.
- Avoid swimming/bathing for the first 24 hours after your spray tan.
- Use self-tanners to help extend the length of your tan.
SKIN GLOW CELEBRATION
- Make an appointment for a spray tan at a location near you.
- Flaunt your favorite outfit to wear once your spray tan is fully developed and rinsed.
- Encourage your friends and family to utilize spray tanning as a healthy way to glow.
- Share photos of your spray tan on social media using the hashtag #NationalSprayTanningDay.
- Be on the lookout for giveaways, promotions, and events nationwide surrounding National Spray Tanning Day by following @mystictan, @versaspa, and @norvellsunless on Instagram.
National Day Calendar designated National Spray Tanning Day on behalf of Sunless, Inc. brands Mystic Tan, Norvell, and VersaSpa in 2022, to be celebrated on the third Thursday in March each year. National Spray Tanning Day encourages people to safely enhance their skin with a natural-looking glow!
Sunless, Inc. is the leading industry authority in the sunless tanning industry with over 30 years of experience. The company offers sunless tanning technology alternatives such as spray tanning and self-tanning products in the place of harmful UV rays. Sunless, Inc. creates the best of the best when it comes to spray tanning booths, equipment, and solutions. The advanced spray technology delivers streak-free and natural-looking tans every time.
With decades of experience, Sunless, Inc. creates the best of the best when it comes to spray tanning equipment, solutions, and self-tanners. The brands Mystic Tan, Norvell, and VersaSpa are iconic among frequent spray tan users.
You can instantly locate a salon that provides spray tans by Mystic Tan, VersaSpa, or Norvell by using their salon locator.
NATIONAL IEP WRITING DAY | First Monday in April
NATIONAL IEP WRITING DAY | First Monday in April
The first Monday in April is National IEP Writing Day to honor all special education teachers and team members who write Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for students with disabilities.
On National IEP Writing Day, let’s pay it forward by thanking the team of professionals that write and implement IEPs that lead to the success of every student they work with on a daily basis.
What is an IEP? An IEP, or Individualized Education Program, is a compilation of legal documents that are the layout of special education instruction and services needed for student with disabilities to thrive while in school, at home, and in the community.
Writing an IEP is an under-appreciated job requirement special education teachers and teams provide each year. Statistically, almost 65% of teachers don’t like writing IEPs, and an additional 80% dislike writing Present Levels and the Goals/Objectives of an IEP. The amount of paperwork that needs to be submitted per student is extremely time consuming.
Special education teachers and their teams go to great lengths writing and providing IEPs. In fact, no two IEPs are alike because no two students are alike. The professionals that create these IEPs and implement them are managers of legal documents, medical documents, and educational documents. According to school districts across the country, the average time it takes to write an IEP is between 1 to 2.5 hours per student. However, special education teachers and teams say they actually spend nearly 4 hours writing one IEP. Can you imagine the time it takes to write an IEP for nearly 50 students?
On average, a special education teacher will write 16 IEPs in one school year. For some, it can be over 100 in a school year. In the Spring many schools have what they call an “IEP Season.” Even though most school districts have teachers writing IEPs year-round, the IEP season is 4-6 weeks in length. During this time teachers will write all IEPs in this short time frame, plus hold IEP meetings with teams and families.
SPECIAL EDUCATION CELEBRATIONS
- Write quick note or email to your fellow IEP team members thanking them for helping.
- Praise your special education students for being a part of your teaching life.
- Send in a little treat, a handwritten card, gift card, or flowers to show appreciation to your child’s special education teacher and the rest of the IEP team.
- Visit The Intentional IEP website and watch videos on the best practices for IEP writing.
- Use #iepwritingday and #NationalIEPWritingDay to share yourself writing an IEP for a student without giving away confidential information.
- Give a public shoutout to the special education teachers and their teams at your school and share on social media using #makingpositivewaves.
BEHIND NATIONAL IEP WRITING DAY
National Day Calendar and The Intentional IEP collaborated to form National IEP Writing Day in 2022. Each year during the first Monday in April, we will celebrate special education teachers and their teams for making positive waves in the lives of students.
The Intentional IEP is a website that helps special education teachers write IEPs more effectively and efficiently. Unsurprisingly, The Intentional IEP celebrates special education teachers and all IEP team members by working together to complete IEPs more collaboratively as a team. This collaboration helps to further facilitate the positive waves in education. The organization offers both free training using blog posts and videos. In addition, they offer paid services that includes video training, a searchable IEP goal bank, and an IEP writing course for teachers.
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
On November 29, 1975, the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) was signed into law giving disabled students access to services through an IEP. The intent was to help them access the same curriculum as their same-aged, neurotypical peers.
The IDEA law states public schools must write IEPs for each student with disabilities who qualify for special education services. These IEPs are intended to help students and families:
- Access the same-aged general education curriculum as their classmates.
- Provide individualized and specific accommodations based on the student’s needs.
- Allow special education teachers and teams to modify, adapt and make support changes based on individual IEP details.