Category: Art & Entertainment
Protected: NATIONAL GAME SHOW DAY | June 1
INTERNATIONAL VOLKSWAGEN® BUS DAY | June 2
INTERNATIONAL VOLKSWAGEN® BUS DAY
Today is not only June 2, it is also International Volkswagen Bus Day and we are celebrating an iconic past while taking a ride into the future. Come along as we celebrate a global icon with an unmistakable design that has brought smiles to the faces of generations–the Volkswagen Bus.
The Volkswagen Type 2, better known as simply the Volkswagen Bus (VW Bus), is an automotive icon that continues to captivate people from around the globe. Introduced in 1950, it has become a vehicular symbol of a counterculture movement.
The original Volkswagen Bus design was specifically for commercial use. However, it would quickly adapt to a family vehicle because of its ability to transport people comfortably. Interestingly, the bus has also been used for a wide variety of other applications, including campers, ambulances, and even a mobile recording studio. In fact, the most famous and well-known association for the VW Bus may be its association with the 1960s era. This is especially true after the bus became a cultural icon for those in attendance to the Woodstock Music & Arts Festival in 1969.
Volkswagen ID. Buzz Arrives in America
On June 2, 2023, Volkswagen of America will introduce a modern-day reincarnation of the Volkswagen Bus-–the ID. Buzz to the general public. The new ID. Buzz brings the nostalgic vibes of the original Volkswagen Bus into the 21st century. The ID. Buzz is an all-new, all-electric version of the beloved VW Bus classic.
5 Fun Volkswagen Bus Facts
- Since the 1960s, the VW Bus has been an inspiration for art, including paintings and photographs.
- The VW Bus will forever be associated as a “hippie van” because of the impact it had while traveling to Woodstock in 1969.
- The VW Bus has been popular in television and film, including That ’70s Show and Cars, the animated film by Pixar.
- The VW Bus has a huge enthusiast following. In fact, the bus is often a main feature in car rallies and shows around the world.
- The original VW Bus is a highly sought after vehicle for car collectors and vehicle restoration specialists. The rarity of finding an original VW Bus is becoming harder and harder.
JOIN THE CELEBRATION
- Share you photos, stories, and memories about your VW Bus on social media using #VWBusDay.
- Join Volkswagen Bus owners and enthusiasts, media influencers, and the general public on June 2 in Huntington Beach, California to celebrate International Volkswagen Bus Day.
- Take a road trip in your Volkswagen Bus with your family.
- Attend a car show and register your VW Bus to be in the show.
- Attend an car auction to see how the VW Bus and other VW vehicles sell to collectors and buyers.
- Learn about the great features the new ID. Buzz will offer consumers.
HISTORY IN THE MAKING
National Day Calendar and Volkswagen of America began a collaboration to establish International Volkswagen Bus Day to be celebrated each year on June 2. This International Day celebrates the iconic Volkswagen Bus and the new ID. Buzz, bringing smiles to the faces of generations, past, present, future.
Volkswagen of America is committed to the heritage of the Volkswagen Bus.
Are there any museums I can see vehicles from the Volkswagen through the years? Absolutely! There are a few museums in the U.S. where you can see a variety of VW vehicles and here is our shortlist:
- The Petersen Museum | Los Angeles, CA
- America’s Car Museum | Tacoma, WA
- Museum of Drag Racing | Ocala, FL
- Volo Museum | Volo, IL
- The National Automobile Museum | Reno, NV
Related National Days
- National Name Your Car Day | October 2nd
- Collector Car Appreciation Day | Changes Annually
NATIONAL BUCKET LIST DAY | April 24
NATIONAL BUCKET LIST DAY
April 24 celebrates National Bucket List Day to remind us it’s never too late to set new goals, go on a dream vacation, and inspire people around you to enjoy life to the fullest.
By definition, a bucket list is a list of things a person would like to do, but has never experienced before. Some people refer to them as milestones, while other people refer to them as goals. Whatever you call them, a bucket list is a list of things a person would like to accomplish before they die.
What Is A Bucket List?
A bucket list is the list you create to make the most out of life. It is a list of goals, dreams, and aspirations you would like to accomplish before you pass away. The basic meaning of a bucket list is to keep track of your goals by making yourself accountable to achieve all you want in life. The purpose of a bucket list is to encourage ourselves to accomplish goals within in a specific timeframe.
Our time on earth is short. Very few of us pause to think about how we spend what time we have. Creating a bucket list can help you live your life to the fullest. It also gives you the opportunity to appreciate the life you have and reflect on the good things to come.
Bucket List Ideas
A bucket list can be anything you want it to be. Your bucket list should reflect your interests. In fact, we’re guessing there are no two lists alike. If you are a simple person, create a bucket list that reflects the simple pleasures in life. If you gravitate towards extravagant things or love to travel, your list will more than likely consist of ideas that require more of a financial investment.
Simple Bucket List Ideas
- Graduating from high school or college.
- Having children.
- Buying a home.
- Becoming a freelance photographer.
- Participating in a painting club.
Extravagant Bucket List Ideas
- Go on a cruise.
- Visit the Rainforest.
- Visit all the continents in the world.
- Visit historical landmarks across the country.
- Ride a hot air balloon.
Travel Bucket List
- Travel to Europe.
- See the ancient Mayan ruins.
- Visit Egyptian tombs.
- Travel Route 66.
- Visit all the state parks in North America.
Living a life of gratitude is key to living a well-rounded life, full of happiness and satisfaction. Gratitude allows you to find every day moments and turn them into long-term fulfillment. Completing items on your bucket list will help you realize the opportunity you have been given as you experience life-changing moments you thought might never happen. Enjoy the ride and show gratitude for the adventure you have in this life.
- Be brave and have some fun by learning to paint, drive a race car, skydive, surf, or jump off a cliff.
- Sample local food and drink during your travels.
- Create a bucket list with a friend that you both can enjoy.
- Watch the movie Bucket List, staring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.
- Pay it forward with a bucket list that allows you to donate time to an orphanage, local soup kitchen, or food pantry.
- Share your videos and photos on social media from your bucket list adventures using #NationalBucketListDay.
CREATING NATIONAL BUCKET LIST DAY
National Day Calendar and Cindy Rhodes of Bucket List Coach Travel & Tours and the Bucket List Coach Web Show formed a collaboration to create National Bucket List Day to be celebrated each year on April 24. Using her own personal bucket list, Cindy thought the ultimate bucket list item for 2023 would be to have her own National Day.
National Bucket List Day is a day focusing around gratitude for your own life and experiences. Cindy believes everyone should get out and experience life to the fullest. Share your gratitude for the things you have and create experiences not things with friends, colleagues and family!
About the Founder
Cindy Rhodes is a travel blogger and agent by day and a National Day Calendar Celebration Ambassador by night. In her mid-forties, she realized life was passing her by and was merely existing. She knew that had to change. She began creating bucket lists of things she wanted to do and experience, making the most of the dash. Along the way, she remembers to show gratitude for every experience she has.
Do not wait till you retire to experience the world! Tomorrow is not promised. CELEBRATE EVERY DAY!Cindy Lee
Cindy believes people should start making it their personal mission to create bucket lists as early as possible. In fact, she encourages bucket lists for anyone, whether they are 20 years old or 90 years old. Recently, Cindy started a National Day Calendar Bucket List.
Since becoming a Celebration Ambassador, Cindy has learned to incorporate National Day Calendar into her daily business plans. In fact, she uses National Days to grow her business. One way she shares her gratitude is sending gifts to clients and friends on specific National Days throughout the year. Read Cindy’s Blog to learn how you can use National Days to grow your business.
Learn how to use National Days to grow your business with Cindy’s Growing Referrals and National Day Calendar Guide.
Annual National Bucket List Day Vacation
Join Bucket List Coach Travel & Tours on the annual trip celebrating national days/months.
2023 – National Bucket List Day Cruise:
- April 22- 29th sail from Long Beach, California to the Mexico Rivera. This cruise celebrating:
- National Brunch Month
- National Humor Month
- National Volunteer Month by giving back at an orphanage in Puerto Vallarta
- National Guitar Month at Cabo Wabo
- National Prime Rib Day on the Carnival Panorama
- International Pay It Forward Day
- 2024: New Orleans Bucket List & Cruise
- 2025 Miami: Bucket List and Cruise
- 2026: France: Bucket Listing & Grape Stomping
Read Cindy’s National Bucket List Day Blog to learn about different ideas on
checking off your bucket list.
Learn how you can use National Days to grow your business.
“Growing Your Business Through Referrals and National Days”
For more information about Cindy, visit one or all of her many social media platforms.
SURFER’S WEB SHOW
NATIONAL SELF-EMPLOYED DAY | May 4
NATIONAL SELF-EMPLOYED DAY | May 4
National Self-Employed Day on May 4 honors the dedicated individuals that bravely venture out to create their own business to support themselves, their families, and their community.
Self-employed business owners are amongst the hardest working individuals you’ll ever meet. They continuously strive to meet their goals to be successful. The self-employed business owner never quits and faces every obstacles they encounter head on. In fact, there is very little that can stop a self-employed business owner from succeeding.
What Does Self-Employed Mean?
Being self-employed means a person does not work for a specific employer or business. Instead, they work for themselves and earn their income by doing business directly. Even though self-employment provides more job flexibility and freedom, it also requires a lot of commitment and dedication. A self-employed person must devote valuable time and energy to earn their wages and pay their bills.
Controlling Your Destiny
As a self-employed individual, you are in complete control of your destiny. Your passion to move forward and become an independent employee enables you to take your dream as far as you want. You have creative control over your ideas and how you want to implement them. In fact, you choose your own work environment, which includes whether or not you want or need employees to help you on your journey.
Establishing self-employment allows you to grow your knowledge and fine-tune your skill set. Your learning curve never ends because being self-employed gives enough variety in your daily routine to allow constant growth. In fact, self-employment helps you build and create your own network of clients.
Network building when you are self-employed is an important piece of your success. By increasing your network, you learn more about business than your realize from your peers. In addition, you learn from their successes and failures, which help you make better decisions for yourself in the long run. A good, strong network brings a group of like-minded people together, yourself included, that encourage, help, and assist each other as your businesses grow.
- Learn about how to become self-employed.
- Take a class about owning a business.
- Support the local self-employed business owners in your community.
- Take a self-employed friend or family member out to dinner to celebrate their accomplishments.
- Offer to speak at a start-up networking gathering to share your experience with others who are looking to start a new business to become self-employed.
- Lend a helping hand to a self-employed friend or family member by offering to file paperwork, answer phones, or look up contact information for potential clients.
- Treat yourself to a little self-care time if you are a self-employed individual.
- Share your love and support for the self-employed person in you life using #NationalSelfEmployedDay on social media.
THE VOICE OF THE SELF-EMPLOYED
In 2022, National Day Calendar formed a partnership with Jeffrey Shaw, the founder of The Self-Employed Business Institute. The collaboration created National Self-Employed Day to be celebrated each year on May 4.
Jeffrey Shaw is the founder of the Voices of the Self-Employed advocacy group and The Self-Employed Business Institute. He is also the creator of The Self-Employed Summit. He is a well-known leader and advocate for self-employed business owners. As a speaker and small business coach, Jeffrey helps self-employed and small business owners gain control of their business in what seems like otherwise uncontrollable circumstances. Drawing on his experience as a renowned portrait photographer, Jeffrey shows business owners how to see business through a different lens. He shares strategies to compose the often-chaotic pieces of life and business into sustainable success.
In addition, Jeffrey is also a sought-after keynote speaker whose TEDxLincolnSquare talk is featured on TED.com. He has a passion for bringing his message to audiences through live and virtual presentations.
- The Self-Employed Life: Business and Personal Development Strategies That Create Sustainable Success
- LINGO: Discover Your Ideal Customer’s Secret Language and Make Your Business Irresistible.
NATIONAL SPRAY TANNING DAY | Third Thursday in March
NATIONAL SPRAY TANNING DAY | Third Thursday in March
Get your glow on and celebrate National Spray Tanning Day on the third Thursday in March by getting a fresh spray tan!
After the winter, our skin can be dull and dry. Today on National Spray Tanning Day, prepare to glow all spring and summer with a natural spray tan. In fact, spray tanning is a great way to achieve a healthy head-to-toe glow and is customizable for any skin tone.
There are two types of spray tanning. The first uses an automated spray booth. The second uses a professional spray tan artist creating an air-brushed glow using a handheld spray machine. Both options allow for a customizable and desirable color that compliments all skin tones. In addition, both types of spray tanning involve being sprayed with a liquid solution that contains dihydroxyacetone (DHA).
Dihydroxyacetone is a naturally derived and fermented active ingredient that reacts with your skin to mimic a tan for a temporary amount of time. After getting a spray tan, it’s important to leave the solution on your skin for between four and 24 hours, rinsing when you have achieved your desired color. A spray tan:
- Provides a sun-kissed glow in just minutes.
- Evens out uneven skin complexion.
- Gives skin a more toned appearance.
- Boosts confidence.
- Can be customized based on your preferences.
- Contains vitamins to lock moisture into skin.
- Gives an even and streak-free tan.
- Offers an option for tan lines.
- Includes optional scents based on your preferences.
There are many benefits to spray tanning. Not only can you achieve a sun-kissed look in just minutes, spray tanning also gives you a major confidence boost! The average spray tan, whether it be in an automatic booth or by a professional spray tan artist, takes about 5 minutes. For most people, when taking the route of traditional sun tanning, it can take hours or days to begin seeing a sun-kissed glow. Sadly, many people receive a sunburn instead of a tan when choosing the traditional sun tanning.
How Do You Prepare for a Spray Tan?
Preparing for a spray tan can help to elevate your overall experience. To get the most natural looking and long-lasting tan, be sure to:
- Shower, exfoliate, and shave/wax 24-28 hours before your session.
- Arrive for your appointment with clean skin. Do not apply moisturizers, deodorant, oils, or make-up before your appointment.
- Wear loose-fitting, dark colored clothing to prevent bronzer transfer.
- Schedule your manicure and/or pedicure appointments prior to your spray tan appointment, so that your tan does not fade prematurely.
- Bring a rain jacket if there is a chance of rain to protect your tan while it is developing.
- Avoid rinsing or getting wet for a minimum of 4 hours. You can leave your tan on for up to 24 hours before rinsing.
Post Spray Tan Tips
Your post-spray tan care is just as important as the preparation! Be sure to keep in mind the following tips to help your tan last as long as possible:
- Rinse your spray tan with warm water and minimal soap/scrubbing.
- Pat dry after rinsing your tan instead of wiping off moisture.
- Apply moisturizer after your shower and then daily to extend your tan.
- Avoid swimming/bathing for the first 24 hours after your spray tan.
- Use self-tanners to help extend the length of your tan.
SKIN GLOW CELEBRATION
- Make an appointment for a spray tan at a location near you.
- Flaunt your favorite outfit to wear once your spray tan is fully developed and rinsed.
- Encourage your friends and family to utilize spray tanning as a healthy way to glow.
- Share photos of your spray tan on social media using the hashtag #NationalSprayTanningDay.
- Be on the lookout for giveaways, promotions, and events nationwide surrounding National Spray Tanning Day by following @mystictan, @versaspa, and @norvellsunless on Instagram.
National Day Calendar designated National Spray Tanning Day on behalf of Sunless, Inc. brands Mystic Tan, Norvell, and VersaSpa in 2022, to be celebrated on the third Thursday in March each year. National Spray Tanning Day encourages people to safely enhance their skin with a natural-looking glow!
Sunless, Inc. is the leading industry authority in the sunless tanning industry with over 30 years of experience. The company offers sunless tanning technology alternatives such as spray tanning and self-tanning products in the place of harmful UV rays. Sunless, Inc. creates the best of the best when it comes to spray tanning booths, equipment, and solutions. The advanced spray technology delivers streak-free and natural-looking tans every time.
With decades of experience, Sunless, Inc. creates the best of the best when it comes to spray tanning equipment, solutions, and self-tanners. The brands Mystic Tan, Norvell, and VersaSpa are iconic among frequent spray tan users.
You can instantly locate a salon that provides spray tans by Mystic Tan, VersaSpa, or Norvell by using their salon locator.
NATIONAL CAREER COACH DAY | January 8
NATIONAL CAREER COACH DAY | January 8
Each year on January 8 we celebrate National Career Coach Day and recognize the important work of career coaches across the United States.
Today, we bring awareness to the impact career coaches have on their clients’ career paths and future potential. Not only are career coaches helping shape the future of the workplace, they are also helping people find fulfilling careers they deserve. On National Career Coach Day, we bring comradery to the profession, give coaches a day to come together, and create a space to celebrate all of the accomplishments made during the process.
What is a career coach? Career coaches are expert professionals who are up-to-date on current employment and hiring practices. These individuals wear specialized hats in helping people plan careers, create dynamic resumes, teach interview and wage negotiation skills, and guide you through the process of landing an amazing career. Most importantly, a career coach will work hard to help you accomplish your career goals.
Why would I need a career coach? People choose to work with a career coach for a variety of reasons. Your current job situation may not bring you enjoyment or you might feel you are on the wrong career path. A career coach will help you understand your potential by learning about your past experiences and guide you towards a happier life.
Choosing a Career Coach
- Decide what type of career coach you want to hire. Like any profession, some career coaches specialize in specific areas. Make sure your decision is the best fit for you.
- Narrow down the services you will need before hiring a career coach. This avoids paying for unnecessary services.
- Interview career coaches to determine if they are a good fit for you. Personality plays an important roll when working together. Choose someone that you “click” with and will provide you the best value.
- Check references your career coach provides. Verify training, certification, and clients.
Benefits of a Career Coach
Career coaches are in high demand in today’s business world. In fact, the career coaching profession is growing at rapid rate and is quickly reaching a $20 million dollar industry. Previously thought of as a service available for the wealthy, career coaching is now affordable to everyone.
The career coach industry has expanded into the business sector, too. Companies are employing career coaches full time for a variety of services, such as:
- Reviewing applications for specific job skills for potential employees.
- Preparing correspondence and inquiries for employers.
- Working with current employees to increase productivity.
- Improving and updating personal goals company-wide.
- Encouraging and inspiring employees to keep moral high.
SUPPORT CAREER COACHES
- Host a career coach summit.
- Provide free resources or tools to perspective clients.
- Make referrals to a career coach who has helped you.
- Become a career coach.
- Send a thank you card to your career coach thanking them for helping you find your dream job.
- Support your career coach by sharing their services with friends and family.
- Recognize and share your experiences with a career coach and use #NationalCareerCoachDay on social media.
Career Benders and National Day Calendar are excited to announce the newly established National Career Coach Day. Beginning in 2023, this new National Day will be celebrated on January 8, and each year after. Join us as we recognize the important work career coaches provide to people across the country.
Dream BigFounder of Career Benders, Angie M. Callen, is a Carnegie Mellon University graduate with a degree in Civil Engineering. In 2008, after working over six years as an engineer, she set out to pursue a career move into a more creative, communicative environment. After an unexpected career change journey, which included more than four years as a nonprofit executive, Angie set out to create a business of her own.
Angie has always been told she had a gift for seeing others’ strengths, and after making career choices that led to professional gratitude and fulfillment, she set out on a mission to do the same for others. She also has a gift for helping people leverage their strengths to build confidence, overcome career trauma, achieve a level-up, and navigate the chaotic world of job searching. Through her work at Career Benders, Angie is helping people find new careers, improve management skills, move into leadership, and even start businesses.
Achieving your dreams and creating a career path that supports your personal and professional goals is possible. The sky is the limit, and we’re #
inspiringconfidentprofessional s one client at a time.
NATIONAL CIVIC PRIDE DAY | November 10
NATIONAL CIVIC PRIDE DAY | November 10
On November 10 we celebrate National Civic Pride Day and inspire everyone to promote the dynamic communities they live in.
Civic pride belongs to the people who are at the heart of the city they live in. It brings communities together and encourages everyone to feel a sense of pride by creating and maintaining a healthy city or town. Today, we want to inspire everyone to get involved in their community and show support by improving the place you live and work.
Why is civic pride important? The importance of civic pride means every community member feels a sense of pride for where they live. The people who live in a community are the same people who help their hometowns become better places to live. Businesses, schools, public service agencies, and community members all contribute to the efforts of making their community thrive. These contribution efforts are called civic pride.
How can I support civic pride? Supporting civic pride is easy to do. In fact, most people participate in civic pride and don’t realize it. Participating in civic pride is essential for any community member. It builds trust between members in the community and in office, keeps dialog open about key issues, and creates better relationships between all residents. Civic pride:
- Enables citizens to influence local laws and policies that effect their community.
- Helps promote and learn local values of businesses and residents.
- Supports economic growth.
- Encourages people who are overlooked or underheard to become a part of solutions and ideas.
Engagement or participating in civic pride is when any member or groups of members engage in public concerns, issues, or activities. When community members work together to protect the public interests and improve the standard of living within their community, the values of civic pride are taking place. Addressing and promoting concerns and ideas increases the quality of life for every member of a community.
Support for civic pride is needed in every city and town to encourage fair democracy. The importance of having representation for all demographic backgrounds is essential. Oftentimes, minority groups feel underrepresented in communities because many are unaware of the benefits of civil engagement. Good civic engagement encourages everyone in their community to become a part of civic pride. It also means providing opportunities in neighborhoods to engage in civic pride.
Symbolism of Civic Pride
Many towns and cities across the world have their own symbol of civic pride. Normally, the symbolism is in the form of a landmark, such as a statue, monument or special marker. In fact, you can find most of these items in the middle of the town, such as a center or town square.
The United States has amazing places to visit and explore. You can find the real meaning behind civic pride when you realize how communities work together to provide visitors an unforgettable experience.
Extraordinary Civic Pride Destinations
- Griffith Observatory – California
- Cliff Palace – Colorado
- Amana Colonies – Iowa
- Cabildo – Louisiana
- Faneuil Hall- Massachusetts
- September 11 Memorial and Museum – New York
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park – New Mexico
- Fort Union Trading Post – North Dakota
- Fort Sumter – South Carolina
- The Alamo – Texas
- United States Capital – Washington, DC
PARTICIPATE IN CIVIC PRIDE
- Volunteer for an organization in your community.
- Attend fundraisers that raise money for community projects.
- Start a community garden to encourage community engagement.
- Participate in regular clean-up weeks to keep your city looking nice.
- Work with the local tourist agency to encourage visitors to your city.
- Provide information about ways to get involved in organizations.
- Share your story and photos of civic pride engagement and post on social media using #NationalCivicPrideDay
FOUNDER OF NATIONAL CIVIC PRIDE DAY
Explore Houma and National Day Calendar announce the newly founded National Civic Pride Day to be celebrated each year on November 10. The idea to create the day started with Explore Houma’s efforts to revitalize their downtown. They promote a strong belief for residents to have pride in their hometown and encourage everyone to participate and value to their city.
A Look Back
Civic pride has been around for a very long time. In fact, people around the world have always participated in ways to make their communities better. For Americans, the war of 1812 played a pivotal roll in how our country would unite as one and step away from the identification of single states or territories.
During the war of 1812, people were identifying with the colony they lived in. For example, people from Maryland were Marylanders, while people from Virginia were Virginians. Whether you were fighting for the British or fighting for the Americans, the split between people who all lived in the United States began thinking about one group of people as Americans. In addition, the creation of the American flag during this time also became a prominent symbol uniting all people in the nation.
NATIONAL CRYPTOCURRENCY MONTH | October
NATIONAL CRYPTOCURRENCY MONTH | October
The entire month of October is a celebration of cryptocurrencies and the cultivation of new economic growth opportunities they bring.
Cyptocurrency is a class of digital currencies that exist outside the governance of any one country’s economy or government. While fiat currency is a system of money used and accepted in a particular country, cryptocurrencies are digital coins and tokens, minted electronically on a blockchain using cryptography. Cryptography is the science of protecting data by transforming it into a secure format.
How does cryptocurrency work? All cryptocurrencies run and operate on something called blockchain. A blockchain is a record of transactions updated and held by currency holders that cannot be altered, deleted, or destroyed. Each transaction also affects succeeding transactions, which makes tampering with a previous transaction virtually impossible. This visibility establishes trust, accountability, and transparency.
Can you buy things with cryptocurrency? Absolutely. Many cryptocurrency platforms allow you to use your digital funds to purchase items. For example, Expedia allows you to book a vacation for a small fee. Retailers are beginning to allow payment of goods using cryptocurrency. If you have a large amount of cryptocurrency in your digital wallet, you might be able to secure a home loan using your currency as collateral. Of course not everyone takes cryptocurrency as payment, but if you have PayPal, you can use your currency to pay for goods through their new service Checkout With Crypto.
- The first cryptocurrency purchase of a physical product was in 2010 for two pizzas.
- A man in Wales accidently threw out his hard drive containing 7,500 Bitcoin (now worth millions) and is appealing to his local city council to excavate the landfill it ended up in.
- It’s virtually impossible to ban cryptocurrency, but many countries have implemented strict regulations on exchanges.
- In 2018, someone bought a CryptoKitty Dragon for 600 Ethereum valuing at $170,000. Amazingly, that same CryptoKitty now has a value of $1.5 million.
- There are there more than 9,500 cryptocurrencies in existence today.
There are thousands of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin, and others. The value of these assets is largely determined by how much people invest in them, and they hold the same value everywhere in the world.
Top 3 Cryptocurrencies
- Bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency in the digital world making it’s debut in 2008 and still holding the #1 spot in cryptocurrency. Money transfer occurs through the bitcoin network of registered users. All transactions are verified and authenticated by nodes and recorded on the blockchain.
- Ethereum is the second largest open-source blockchain with a large variety of financial services. According to Ethereum.org, “While Bitcoin is only a payment network, Ethereum is more like a marketplace of financial services, games, social networks and other apps that respect your privacy and cannot censor you.”
- Tether is the largest stablecoin in cryptocurrency.
- Stablecoins differ from other cryptocurrencies in that their value is “pegged” to a particular fiat currency (for example, the US Dollar), so its value is as stable as the asset it’s pegged to. Tether and other stablecoins are used for lending and converting one crypto to another.
ENGAGE IN THE CRYPTOCURRENCY WORLD
- Take a class to learn about cryptocurrency.
- Invest in cryptocurrency.
- Learn the history of cryptocurrency, including who is credited with being the “founder” of this digital currency.
- Teach a class to beginners if you are an expert cryptocurrency user.
- Share #NationalCryptocurrencyMonth on social media.
DIGITAL MONEY HISTORY
In 2022, Guy Gotslak from My Digital Money and National Day Calendar created National Cryptocurrency Month to be celebrated each year the entire month of October. My Digital Money allows customers to invest cash or part of a self-directed IRA into cryptocurrency.
The first mention of cryptocurrency appears in 1983 by David Chaum. After introducing his concept of encrypted electronic money in a conference paper, Chum began to develop a proto-cryptocurrency named Digicash. Using key encryption to withdraw money from a bank, Chaum successfully transferred money to a recipient without using a financial institution.
In 2008, Satoshi Nakamoto (not his/her real name) introduced Bitcoin and information on how to operate it using blockchain technology. However, it is know Nakamoto would make reference to current economic conditions involving financial institutions, including bank bailouts. In fact, a headline in The Times ran announcing a new method to exchange currency without financial institution involvement.
Early exchanges of currency made a lot of money for people and their investments. Unfortunately, that money was sometimes associated with illegal activity, such as drug sales, prostitution, and theft. Luckily, like all technology, knowledge increases resulting in substantial improvements. Today, anyone can use cryptocurrency to secure their own financial portfolio.
NATIONAL EASTERN BOX TURTLE WEEK | First Full Week in May
NATIONAL EASTERN BOX TURTLE WEEK | First Full Week in May
We celebrate National Eastern Box Turtle Week the first full week in May to praise the remarkable resilience of the Eastern Box Turtle.
The entire first full week of May celebrates a resilient and popular reptile, commonly known as the Eastern Box Turtle. A subspecies of the common box turtle, the Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) is native to eastern parts of the U.S. and radiates beautiful colors on its shell. Today, we want everyone to celebrate by learning about the Eastern Box Turtle.
“Eastern Box Turtles are walking wildflowers of color who move forward with patient perseverance.”
What is the Eastern Box Turtle? As a part of the hinge-shelled turtles, Eastern Box Turtles are not a tortoise and are mostly terrestrial. They are considered slow moving reptiles that live a long life and are fairly slow to reproduce. Their attractive appearance and gentle disposition are admired by children and adults alike. Sadly, Eastern Box Turtles are susceptible to high mortality due to the pace they move when crossing roads, or when trying to escape harm. Unfortunately, illegal poaching also contributes to declining numbers. In addition, habitat loss has also been an increasing problem for the Eastern Box Turtle and it’s survival.
How can you identify an Eastern Box Turtle from other turtles? Eastern Box Turtles are beautiful turtles, especially the male species. Even though female Eastern Box Turtles mostly have brown shells, male turtles of this species have radiant lines of yellow, orange, red, or white on their shell. In addition, they also have very distinct spots. On occasion, the female species also has bright colors on their shells, making identification between male and female tough. Interestingly, the easiest way to tell the male species from the female is all male Eastern Box Turtles have red eyes.
There are interesting facts about the Eastern Box Turtle that are worth knowing. For example, Eastern Box Turtles:
- Are the official reptile in North Carolina.
- Can regenerate and reform their shell when injured or damaged.
- Have fives toes on front legs and four toes on the hind legs.
- Range in size from 4.5 to 8 inches long.
- Feature sharp stout limbs with webbed feet at the base of the feet.
- Tend to cool off in ponds, shallow streams, and mud.
SUPPORTING EASTERN BOX TURTLES
- Volunteer with a turtle Rescue team to treat sick and injured turtles.
- Visit a turtle habitat.
- Learn about Eastern Box Turtles.
- Visit the TRT website to learn about Eastern Box Turtles.
- Donate to a local vet clinic that treats injured and sick turtles.
- Share your support on social media using #NationalEasternBoxTurtleWeek.
National Day Calendar began working with Bruce Worf to form National Eastern Box Turtle Week in 2022. Each year during the first week in May, we will celebrate this reptile holiday. The week also honors the work of the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine Turtle Rescue Team. The Turtle Rescue Team (TRT) is a veterinary student-run organization that treats native, sick, and injured wild turtles. Eastern box turtles make up the majority of the patients treated.
Turtle Rescue Team
The TRT was founded in early 1996 by Dr. Gregory Lewbart and has been treating over 500 turtle patients in recent years. Dr. Lewbart, Professor of Aquatic, Wildlife, and Zoological Medicine is a nationally and internationally recognized expert in these fields of Veterinary Medicine. He provides expert advice and supervision to veterinary students rotating through the clinic with the help of Zoological Medicine Research Specialist, Kent Passingham.
After a generous donation by wildlife rehabilitator, Linda Henis, TRT has expanded significantly. The clinic has consultations and diagnostic equipment provided by NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital to allow students the opportunity to work, diagnose, and treat turtles with state-of-the-art equipment.
Dr. Bruce Worf, a physician and longtime sponsor of the TRT, with the help of Representative Rosa Gill, spearheaded the effort to get the North Carolina Legislature to designate the TRT as a Special License Plate, featuring the TRT logo, an Eastern Box Turtle with a Red Cross adorning it’s shell. In addition, Niki Theobald, Development Director, NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine also supported the creation of a NEBTW to honor the work of the TRT.
Students at TRT:
- Contribute to published research on their turtle patients.
- Participate in various Outreach Programs with North Carolina museums, aquariums, and parks.
- Established the Turtle Ally Certification Program to help veterinarians across North Carolina improve their skills in treating injured native wild turtles.
- Volunteer in a very successful anti-poaching operation that results in a significant period of incarceration and legal sanctions for a poacher of wild turtles in North Carolina.
Dr. Bruce Worf also contributed to founding National Megalodon Day, which is celebrated June 15 each year.
NATIONAL MERRI MUSIC DAY | October 25
NATIONAL MERRI MUSIC DAY | October 25
October 25 celebrates National Merri Music Day to honor an innovative sound system and a music concept that began post World War II in Jamaica.
On National Merri Music Day, we are celebrating the Merritone Sound System as the oldest sound system on the planet. Merritone is the only sound system founded in the original sound system era of the 1940s and 1950s that is still in operation. As the last sound standing, Merritone Music encourages music lovers around the globe to learn about the historical movement that has influenced musical genres in Jamaica and the world.
What is a Sound System?
A sound system of the late 1940s and 50s is a public address apparatus with turntables attached to it for sound reinforcement and the amplification of music. Today, sound systems are still a big part of the Jamaica musical scene with many famous selectors, aka DJs.
The original sound systems were born out of a need to bring music and entertainment to Jamaica’s working class. Before the sound systems, musical entertainment in Jamaica came from live bands. The cost associated with these events limited attendees to upper class Jamaicans and tourists. Thus, with the introduction of the sound system, contemporary music was brought to the masses. Sound systems played at house parties, lawns, and dancehalls.
How old is Merritone Music? Originating over 55 years ago, Merritone Music turns 72 years old in 2022. Merritone sound system hails from Morant Bay, which is the capital of the parish of St. Thomas in southeastern Jamaica. Merritone’s founder, Val Blake loved Latin music and dances, such as cha cha cha, waltz, and slow love songs, which gave this sound system its distinctly identifiable music formula.
Merritone Music is credited for directly influencing the rise of ska, reggae, rock steady, and the present-day dancehall music culture. In fact, unlike live music where a single or a few genres of music are played, Merritone offers a variety of Jamaican mento, calypso, American R&B, and country during a session or party.
Many musicians and producers sought out Merritone Music to play their records, such as Bob Marley and producers Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Winston ‘Niney’ Holness, and Bunny ‘Striker’ Lee, to name a few. Often, they would play songs not found on the radio. In fact, they were famous for making B-side records instant hits. This was one of the main reasons local artists flocked to Merritone Music performances. If they could get their song played at a Merritone session, it was going to be a hit. Their influence made local artists highly successful.
MERRI SOUNDING MUSIC
- Learn the complete history of the Merritone Sound System.
- Attend Merritone Sound System sessions.
- Research Jamaican culture and history.
- Make plans to attend a future Merritone Reunion.
- Share and post your Merritone Music stories using #NationalMerriMusicDay.
National Day Calendar gives credit to Monique Blake of Merritone Music Inc. as the founder of National Merri Music Day. The day honors her grandfather Val Blake’s birthday, October 25th. Val died in 1956, leaving behind four sons, Trevor, Winston, Tyrone, and Monte. His 2 oldest sons, Trevor, and Winston took charge of the sound system after his death.
Trevor would eventually migrate to the U.S leaving Winston and his 2 younger brothers to continue Merritone. The Blake brothers stood out as the only sound that would feature a family of DJs. While all brothers played, Winston and Monte are the two most recognized selectors. Winston was instrumental in making the Merritone sound a Jamaican national treasure and a global phenomenon.
National Merritone Music Memories
Winston Blake was born on November 19, 1940, to Ruthlyn and Winston St. Valentine “Val” Blake. Ruthlyn died shortly after the birth of Monte, the youngest Merritone brother. Val was left to care for his 4 sons. As a Public Works accountant and a part time Philips Electronics salesman, he searched for additional ways to support his family.
Trevor and Winston attended school in Kingston. One day after school, while waiting at a bus stop, they heard music pumping from Mr. Chin’s Sky Rocket Sound System. They came home and urged their father to start a sound system as a means to generate extra income. In the beginning, Val resisted because sound systems were not considered socially acceptable for the middle class. Eventually, he gave in and Merritone Music was born. The sound system went on to break down the stigma of sound systems and brought music to both working and middle class people, national and international politicians, Jamaican prime ministers, world renowned musicians, and music lovers from around the world.
Facts and Tidbits
Merritone Music is the last ‘sound’ standing. It is the only sound system that began in the original sound system era of the 1940s and 1950s that continues to play today. In addition, it is the only sound system to play on all modern musical formats, including shellac 78 RPM, vinyl records, 8 track, cassette, CDs, and digital music.
As many firsts in sound system, music, and Jamaican history, Merritone Music stands out as a historic presence. Always using music to unite the people of the world, Merritone has been breaking down social barriers since its creation. In the 1960s the Merritone brothers played at the University of West Indies, exposing students from middle-class families to a sound system. In the 1970s, Merritone became the first sound system to play at a world class hotel, the Sheraton in New Kingston.
Winston sought to showcase Jamaican talent and started the Merritone VIP Talent Exposure. This show discovered some of Jamaica’s most prominent singers including the following:
- Cynthia ‘Songbird’ Schloss
- Beresford Hammond
- The Tamlins
- Jacob Miller
- Ruddy Thomas
- The Mighty Diamonds.
Merritone Music began playing in New York in the late 60s, but it was not until the 70s that international tours became a mainstay. They played in US cities like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, New York, as well as Toronto and London where Merritone fans moved to during the Great Migration. It was the first Jamaican based sound system to play internationally.
In 1972, Winston opened the Turntable Club. It became the home of Merritone Music for the next 29 years. It was the site of the first live recording session at a night club in Jamaica featuring Dennis Brown. Entertainers like Marvin Gaye, Keith Richards, Johnny Nash, Bob Marley, and Jimmy Cliff frequented the club.
Turntable Club is Jamaica’s longest running nightclub. In fact, in honor of its contribution to Jamaica’s musical culture, Turntable Club was designated a National Heritage site in 2018 by the Government of Jamaica.
Awards & Commendations
1997: The Government of Jamaica awarded Winston Blake with the Order of Distinction (OD), the highest civilian recognition, in honor of his contributions to Jamaican music.
2000: St Thomas Municipal Council renamed Bay Mount (the original Merritone Music home site) to Blake Hill in recognition of Merritone Music’s 50th anniversary.
2000: Reggae Canada honored Winston Blake with the Icons Award.
2008: The United States House of Representatives 11th Congressional district honored Winston Blake for his contribution to Brooklyn, NY and its citizens.
2008: University of West Indies, Mona School of Business held a Symposium on Merritone Sound System as one of Jamaica’s longest running family-owned businesses.
2012: Nassau County New York honored Winston Blake for his dedicated service to the community.
2015: International Reggae Day honors Merritone Music with a Pioneer Sound Award
2017: JARIA (Jamaica Reggae Industry Association) posthumously honors Winston Blake for exceptional contribution to the reggae industry.